Thread: [Award Winner] Antique-style maps in Photoshop

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

7. Let’s tweak the aging a little bit so click on the “aging” layer and create a new layer. Rename it to “brown” and fill with the brown we used earlier (84745E). Ctrl-click on the “land” layer in the layers palette. Select > Modify > Expand = 100. Expand 2 more times. Select > Feather = 100. Hit the delete key 5 times and deselect. Change the layer’s mode to Color burn.

8. Let’s put in the countries. Click on the “land” layer and create a new layer. Use whatever size pencil you want and draw in the first country…draw out into the ocean as well then fill the whole shape ((pic antique 12)). Draw each new country on its own layer and each in a different color ((pic antique 13)). Once you have all of your countries in place, ctrl-click on the “land” layer and Select > Inverse. Hit the delete key on each country layer. This deletes the fill out in the ocean. When done, deselect. Now to prevent our countries from overlapping, we will do something similar for each country. Click on your first country (in the layers palette). Ctrl-click on this layer then click on the layer of a country that touches this first country. Hit the delete key and do the same for any other country that touches this first one. Continue this process on down the line for all subsequent countries ((pic antique 14)). Next, for each country change the layer’s fill to 0%. Click back on the first country layer. Add a layer style of Inner glow…use red, opacity is 75%, size is 10. You can use as many different colors for the countries as you like but try to use at least 3, I have used 8…red, orange, yellow, brown, green, blue, purple, and gray. Next, each country will get a layer style of Pattern overlay. The pattern I use is one of diagonal lines set to multiply with an opacity of 35%. You can use whatever pattern you choose as long as it is gray-scale. If you happen to have some pattern that you would rather use then skip ahead to the next step. I have also flipped the pattern so that the lines go a different way in order to help accentuate each country from another. Lastly, each country gets a layer style of Color overlay that matches the color of the inner glow set to overlay at 67% opacity…thus I have 8 different color overlays. The pattern overlay in multiply mode ensures that the white lines of the pattern will be invisible and the color overlay in overlay mode combines with the black lines of the pattern to produce a colored line pattern. Lastly, turn down the opacity of each country’s layer to 50% ((pic antique 15)).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	antique 12.jpg 
Views:	500 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	8803   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	antique 13.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	957.7 KB 
ID:	8804   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	antique 14.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	8805   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	antique 15.jpg 
Views:	789 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	8806  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps