Thread: [Award Winner] Antique-style maps in Photoshop

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

6. Now we need to put in the rings around the landmasses so reset the colors to black and white. Click on the “land” layer and create a new layer. On the layers palette ctrl-click on the “land” layer…this loads this layer’s selection. Select > Modify > Expand = 1. Fill with white and deselect. On the layers palette, change the fill to 0%. Add a layer style of stroke, 1-pixel, black, outside. On the layers palette, right click on this layer and choose “Copy layer style”. Create a new layer and ctrl-click on “Layer 1”, Select > Modify > Expand = 2. Fill with white and deselect. On the layers palette, right click on this layer (it should be Layer 2) and choose “Paste layer style”. Continue doing this until you have 10 layers/rings, expanding the selection by 3, then 4, then 5, etc. Once you have 10 rings, link the layers in the layer palette…you do this by clicking the empty box between the eye and the layer preview pic. Merge these layers together (ctrl-e). Rename the resulting layer to “rings”. Filter > Blur > Gaussian blur = 0.3. Click on the “rivers” layer and hit ctrl-f (this applies the last used filter to this layer…in this case the blur). Move the “noise” layer underneath the “land” layer. Move the “rings” layer underneath the “land” layer ((pic antique 10)). Copy the “rings” layer if your rings look too light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	antique 10.jpg 
Views:	941 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	8802  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps