Thread: [Award Winner] Antique-style maps in Photoshop

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

21. Now you might be thinking to yourself, “There’s something missing” and I’ll say “Yes, there is…but do you think you can handle it?” It’s time for the latitude and longitude lines and it can get a little tricky. The first thing we are going to do is draw out a 2-pixel black line from the very top to the very bottom (on a new layer). Next we need some guides placed 200 pixels apart (our image is 2000 pixels wide so every 200 pixels is 10% of the map). Zoom in to 1600% and put the guides in at 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1400, 1600, and 1800. Use the Move tool and place the black line directly in the middle of the first guide. Copy this layer and move it to the next guide. Keep going until you get all of the guides covered with a black line. Merge these layers together. Copy this layer. Edit > Transform > Rotate 90CW. Merge down. Rename this layer to “lat long”. We now have our lat and long lines. For that extra “coolness” factor we’re going to distort these lines. Click on the “Background” layer. Image > Canvas Size = put 1000 in each of the windows (this will add 500 pixels to the top, bottom, left, and right of the whole image). Click back on the “lat long” layer. Filter > Distort > Spherize = 50%. Now that looks pretty cool. Click on the “Background” layer. Ctrl-click on the “aging” layer. Image > Crop. Now our image is back where it started (2000 X 2000) but we need to erase any lat long lines that go through the frame. Next, put in the numbers to indicate the degrees of latitude and longitude (use Times New Roman in italic and a small font size). When that is done, do the blur and apply the layer style from step 11 ((pic antique 19)). NOTE: this process works perfect if your continent is on the equator; if your continent is above or below the equator then you will have to add more lines and then move them around after the Spherize is done and possibly Edit > Transform > Scale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	antique 19.jpg 
Views:	1016 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	8810  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps