Thread: Science board?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think the point of having a science board (or call it a "realism" board if you like) really is to just keep all that useful stuff in one place. I don't think it'd need further subforums within it though, because posters can tag the threads or put things in the subject line to differentiate say astronomy from city planning. And while it may not look like it's needed now, I suspect that if it's created it'd start filling up pretty quickly - especially if it's about all forms of realism in maps and world building (i.e. social stuff, architecture, engineering etc), not just actual phsyical science.

Waldronate's post is a good example of the sort of thing that could be in there (and darn useful, I didn't know some of that stuff) - if it had a thread of its own then people can ask questions and discuss it, and it'd be easier to track down than just leaving it on this thread or on another board.

One idea I had - which may be a little tricky to enforce and decide - is to have people as "designated experts" so that people know that these are the people who actually know about the subjects. So if people really are (for example) professional architects - or even aren't professionals or scientists but who happen to know a lot about astronomy or physics or hydrogeology or anthropology because of prior education and current interest - then everyone else would know that they're the ones to listen to. That could be done self-selectively so long as people are honest about their credentials, or maybe applications for "experthood" could be submitted to someone else who can then grant it. It's an idea anyway.
    Last edited by EDG; 01-01-2009 at 03:11 PM.