Thread: GIMP 2.4 and LunarCell trouble...

Help GIMP 2.4 and LunarCell trouble...

Hello,

I've recently moved from Windows to Ubuntu 8.04, and I obviously want all my scripts and filters for GIMP work on Linux too. Everything was going all right, until I decided that I want to get LunarCell back...

To start it on GIMP, I used (PSPI plug-in by Tor Lillqvist. So I successfully ported LunarCell, it was detected by the GIMP, and I started it. Nothing happened then - I just saw that message "Applying LunarCell blinked in status bar in main GIMP window, and an error message appeared in error log: because of internal error LunarCell stopped to work and "it could damage GIMP".

Do you have any idea what could really happen? Could you please help me with this problem? I am not certain, but I believe I've already heard some other people experience this problem too, with almost all Flaming Pear filters.

Thanks,
    hunab.cu

PS. I was not sure about where to put this post, so I wrote straight to Software Discussion. If it should be placed into filters and scripts directory, please move it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Well first, Welcome Aboard!

Unfortunately I don't know enough about Ubuntu and I'm not a GIMP user, but I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you with the problem.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hi hunab,

I am a GIMP and Linux user (though I use gentoo linux) and I'll try to answer your question. I didnt know of pspi until your post, so I will have to play around with it a bit, maybe tomorrow I can answer your question about LunarCell.

About damaging GIMP. As long as you didnt run GIMP and pspi as root or did a sudo GIMP (which I sincerly hope you didnt do) not much could have happened. As a user you do not have the rights to write in the /usr path, so actually the only thing could have happened is that your .gimp folder in your home has lost data. But I highly doubt that as well.

BTW if you like Ubunutu Linux I would recommend taking a look on Linux Mint. It is based on the Ubunutu distribution but offers more/better configuration tools and has slightly different software choices. As well as Ubuntu, Linux Mints main edition is Gnome based. In addition, if you want to use GIMP 2.6, I would recommend to switch either to Ubuntu 8.10 or Linux Mint 6. Both allready have GIMP 2.6 installed, Ubuntu 8.04 just has GIMP 2.4.

EDIT: oh and you can take a look at my planet script for GIMP. It aint finished yet, but you allready can render a nice planet. I doesnt have a good cloud routine and it it doesnt have many options for sure if you compare it to lunarcell (or at least I assume that as I dont know lunarcell) but if you just need some random planets its more than fine
    Last edited by Sagenlicht; 01-10-2009 at 07:32 PM.
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.