Thread: Waskingdale Island (Lite Challenge entry)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Waskingdale Island (Lite Challenge entry)

This was my entry for the October - November 2017 Lite Challenge, to map an island based on a choice of shapes provided by Bogie. My WIP thread is here.

Once more I used this challenge to try some new things out. This was my first go at using Wilbur for anything and I am very impressed. I can see myself playing with that a lot more. It is quite unpredictable for me so throwing different things at it is quite good fun.

I followed this Arsheesh tutorial for the most part but found that I needed to deviate a bit. I used the recommended and supplied gradients in that tutorial and moved the triangles until I got what I thought was near enough what I was looking for. I didn't need the Arctic ones but I used one of the desert ones to put a more sandy effect around the coast and in parts of the land to give it a patchy feel. The forest areas I made my own texture but it's 64MB so a bit large to upload to the Guild. I used that as a layer with transparent mask that I then painted (white?) onto to reveal the texture where I wanted it on the map. I overlaid the whole thing with a parchment texture, in this case set to multiply because it seemed to bring the whole thing to life more.

To think I was doing crude drawings of ice cream vans entering the innards of fish less than a year ago! Just following examples I have learnt here and practising with different tools I think in one year my digital mapping skills have moved along at great pace. Thanks to all who have inspired, encouraged and held my hand through different methods. I hope to make more progress in this coming year

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waskingdale Island.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	5.11 MB 
ID:	101468

As always comments and critique are welcome

I really like this map, Straf - one of your better ones

Since you asked for comments and critique, if there is anything I have to say, its that the forest texture might look even better if it was smaller in scale?

A great map, though

Thanks Mouse

My forest texture is 4000 x 4000 and I applied it neat (as in full size) without scaling it down to approximately the map size. I don't know if that's the reason why it appears to float above the rest of the terrain. I have also remembered that I was going to add an extra shading layer where I could manually add some shadows but I completely forgot about it until now.

I think I may make another map along this style but try to get these little things sorted out. There's always something though I enjoyed making it. It was good fun wondering what Wilbur was going to do next

Wilbur is always great fun

Looking forward to the next in the line, then

Thank you Francesca