Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nesindra III

Marvelous ! The colors are really great and the coastlines ... The simple mountains are a good choice in my opinion and the decorations are just the good distance between futuristic and art nouveau. May I ask about that font you used ? I feel it has a great potential for a hyperborean kind of world

By J.Edward
    Are you wanting something like a star system map? or other planets in the system?
    Why not both ?!
    I would love to see you do a system map in particular, though.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Looks great J.Edward, love that you went for black with this its very unconventional, reminds me a bit of Ilanthars recent star map.
    Thank you Kacey
    Always nice to be reminded of a high quality artist like Ilanthar.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Aww, I love that unusual colors and the clean/modern look. Would change nothing there !
    Thanks you Beee
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    Did I perchance happen to mention I ADORE these colors? No? Well, I do. A beautiful composition overall, I love the simple yet elegant decorations around the map. And I'll have to disagree with Mouse here, I think the font actually fits this map very well.

Yet another beauty, well done.
    Thanks Kell
    I like dark schemes, but just don't tend to do them very often.
    The decorations were tricky as I didn't know for sure what was going to go in those areas.
    To me, that's part of what makes this sort of map hard or complicated - there's a lot of ornament needed to fill spaces.
    I can do ornament fills, but it's harder to make the fill feel appropriate, for me at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Marvelous ! The colors are really great and the coastlines ... The simple mountains are a good choice in my opinion and the decorations are just the good distance between futuristic and art nouveau. May I ask about that font you used ? I feel it has a great potential for a hyperborean kind of world
    Thanks Thomas
    The font is Lupulus which I got at MyFonts.com.
    I just went and looked and holy cow is it expensive now.
    I looked back at my order history. I got it at a discount, but apparently it was still a bit high, even then, at $52.
    I like a lot of the old blackletter type but so much of it is not easily readable by everyday viewers.
    So when I find a font like this, a sort of modern blackletter, I just sort of go for it.
    It's a weighted font, which is tough to beat when doing maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Why not both ?!
    I would love to see you do a system map in particular, though.
    Maybe, maybe.

Great to see another "modern/futuristic" map from you John. I think i haven't seen one since your wonderful"Region 09 Overscan" and i hoped you would bless us from time to time with something alike. The palette is really cool and the overall layout/composition is fantastic indeed. The ochre mountains seemed a bit drowned by the dark background at first sight, but i agree, for a "political" map it seems appropriate to have them as subtle as possible.
    Oh, and i heard Ilanthar is a very wise man, better listen to him!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

This is really cool J. The simple, but elegant palette works beautifully!

By Abu Lafia
    Oh, and i heard Ilanthar is a very wise man, better listen to him!
    Where could you possibly have heard that ?!
    Are you watching over my dreams? Some of my friends would call it disinformation .

Feel kind of odd that this is one of your first world maps, John o_O I really like it. The land shapes are exactly what I've come to expect from you and the map is rather simple but very appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Great to see another "modern/futuristic" map from you John. I think i haven't seen one since your wonderful"Region 09 Overscan" and i hoped you would bless us from time to time with something alike. The palette is really cool and the overall layout/composition is fantastic indeed. The ochre mountains seemed a bit drowned by the dark background at first sight, but i agree, for a "political" map it seems appropriate to have them as subtle as possible.
    Oh, and i heard Ilanthar is a very wise man, better listen to him! (:
    Back in 2016 ? maybe... can't recall... the year where we had the yearly challenge before we started doing the atlas awards...
    I had started several different maps. Ultimately I was going to do this one scifi map.
    And there it still sits on my computer. It's a blue themed one too, like the overscan map.
    I have plans for other modern maps, as i do quite love and enjoy modern maps.
    But it just doesn't seem to fit in to my work schedule or my work theme either.
    But, be assured, there will be more modern and scifi maps from me.
    Especially if Ilanthar has his way. ;P hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    This is really cool J. The simple, but elegant palette works beautifully!
    Thank you Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Where could you possibly have heard that ?!
    Are you watching over my dreams? Some of my friends would call it disinformation .
    Hehe I take my inspiration from Ilanthar for scifi maps.
    In fact, he's not a bad person to take inspiration from for any sort of map.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Feel kind of odd that this is one of your first world maps, John o_O I really like it. The land shapes are exactly what I've come to expect from you and the map is rather simple but very appealing.
    I know, right. I was surprised when I realized it.
    I've done tons of world map sketches and full equirectangular maps for use in g.projector.
    But I never post any of those. I guess because they are related to stories I write [slowly].
    And as such I am not sure what parts of the map should and shouldn't be shown before the story is done.
    Examples being - Luma [Bourmout, Haerlech, and others], Nhyn [Skenara, Haldeshar, Trolnarm, etc.], etc.
    There are world maps for those, but they haven't been posted.
    There's also a world map for Qaliste, though it isn't really a finished thing.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

From far, I didn't expect much, but once enlarged, all the fantastic details appear and it's a wonder ! From the work you've made arount the globes, to the subtil details in mountains and coasts !
    I recognized some coasts, I think... a continent looks like Newfoundland...ish, I see a part of Alaska and a twisted eastern coast of canada (?) And I'm sure there's more references hidden, isn't it ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast