Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ork workshop [close ups from a commission]

Map Ork workshop [close ups from a commission]

Wasn't really sure where to put this, so I decided here, for now.
    I recently finished up some work with a fellow Guild member, Steffen Brand.
    He works for Ulisses Spiele, and he contacted me to work on some encounter maps for the Wrath & Glory starter set.
    Wrath & Glory is a Warhammer 40k rpg being developed by Ulisses, with approval from Games Workshop.

This was really cool for me, as I used to draw warhammer stuff as a kid/teen.
    I loved all the spikey, jagged lines of old warhammer and wh40k.
    I used to have the first Realm of Chaos book. Still have a number of old White Dwarf magazines.
    I say - people are in some ways really missing out today.
    There's more access, but the feel is different.
    Waiting to get a new magazine.... it was good and bad, I guess.
    Maybe zines will make a comeback.
    [Chashio's gonna see what she can do about zines ]

Anyways.... here are some close ups from the Ork workshop encounter map.
    The full map is 24 x 30 inches. These were pretty big for what I usually do.
    Can't post the full map yet. Not sure yet on the publishing date for the Starter set.
    But you can check out Wrath & Glory at the Ulisses US website and follow with their email newsletter if you're interested.

Next week we'll have 4 more from one of the other encounter maps.
    For now, 4 close ups from the workshop.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ork workshop-Ulisses US-01 by jstevenson.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	241.1 KB 
ID:	106085 - Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ork workshop-Ulisses US-02 by jstevenson.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	225.3 KB 
ID:	106086

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ork workshop-Ulisses US-03 by jstevenson.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	278.2 KB 
ID:	106087 - Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ork workshop-Ulisses US-04 by jstevenson.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	228.0 KB 
ID:	106088

Fantastic maps !

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Fantastic maps !
    You are all over the web today, my friend
    Thanks Thomas
    I wasn't sure if this was clear or not, all of these close ups are from one map.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 04-02-2018 at 03:37 PM.

You were clear, don't worry And I'm on a binge post easter week-end catch up

Oh, these are really cool. I always admired the whole artwork/design of GW. Great job grasping that 40k style and infusing it with your own here John. One can see you had your fun I love the dirtiness and messiness (orcishness?) of the places, very inspirational! Btw. the wonderful acid pond map makes my fingers itching to push some necromunda gangers around that place
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Arkidemis's Avatar

I don't know if I should thank your or not, but looking at these are making me want to bust the airbrush out and work on some of the Tau models I have yet to paint. Very much so conflicted, maps or armies?

These snippits look great, they definately has an Ork feel about them. I look forward to seeing the whole map.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Oh, these are really cool. I always admired the whole artwork/design of GW. Great job grasping that 40k style and infusing it with your own here John. One can see you had your fun I love the dirtiness and messiness (orcishness?) of the places, very inspirational! Btw. the wonderful acid pond map makes my fingers itching to push some necromunda gangers around that place
    Thanks Abu I have a chaos tample and an imperial spaceship with the other two maps.
    Which is interesting, as I might be the first person to officially map the inside of the Imperial Navy.
    I think the only other space ship interiors were from Rogue Trader maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkidemis View Post
    I don't know if I should thank your or not, but looking at these are making me want to bust the airbrush out and work on some of the Tau models I have yet to paint. Very much so conflicted, maps or armies?

These snippits look great, they definately has an Ork feel about them. I look forward to seeing the whole map.
    Thanks Arkidemis
    As I said to Abu, there will be a weird chaos temple and Imperial ship interior.
    The chaos temple is weird because they had me do areas for all 4 chaos deities in one location.
    But that one was really fun to do.

Very cool and dirty! I like the way you play with the light on those.

Yeah, I miss the old "Dragon" magazine. The 6 issues of "Gygax" were really nice until there were name ownership issues that pulled the plug. The editor told me he was going to publish one of my maps/adventures in the next issue that never happened. Ya never know.

Great maps John.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very cool and dirty! I like the way you play with the light on those.
    Thanks Ilanthar
    It's a lot of fun messing with the light and shadow.
    It started to get rather complex on the other maps.
    But, once you get used to it, it's not so bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Yeah, I miss the old "Dragon" magazine. The 6 issues of "Gygax" were really nice until there were name ownership issues that pulled the plug. The editor told me he was going to publish one of my maps/adventures in the next issue that never happened. Ya never know.

Great maps John.
    Thanks Bogie

Yeah, it's sad how many rights issue problems there are within the rpg industry.
    So much competition for what is arguably a small industry [by comparison to most other industries].
    It would be cool to see a comeback of the magazine. I'd be happy to be involved in almost any magazine like those.
    Dragon, Dungeon, White Dwarf, Polyhedron, RPG, No Quarter, even ones that are more story/fiction based and possibly less game based would be cool.
    Like the old pulp fiction mags. Weird Tales, Analog, Worlds of IF, Galaxy, too many to name....
    There's so much awesome lost art in those mags. So hard to get a hold of.
    I just always liked magazines. sigh. Old days. Old folks. ;P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast