Thread: VTT for Linux

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question VTT for Linux

This is maybe a question for RPMiller but maybe anyone else does know it as well.

I am considering to use a VTT software and a beamer for my gaming group for dungeon explorings.

My biggest prob is, I am a linux user... so is there any chance that there is a VTT tool for linux out there?
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Hmm nevermind I just found out that RPTools i a java app and running with linux.

Its just a bit more difficult to use than I hoped for. Guess I to play a bit with it.
    My Map Challenge Entries

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenlicht View Post
    Hmm nevermind I just found out that RPTools i a java app and running with linux.

Its just a bit more difficult to use than I hoped for. Guess I to play a bit with
    it.

First thing to do is to go check out the video tutorials, there have been some incredible changes since they were made, mostly around how the macro language functions. Once the 1.3 release is finalized, the tutorial author will work on doing some more video tuts.

Also, if you could stay up on a Friday/Sat night, I would be happy to give you a run down of how to do the most common things and can even do voice over Ventrillo if you wanted. Of course, we would have to work out a schedule if you wanted to do that....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Linux performance

Just a performance question JF.

I"m considering a new (for me) monster machine and I'm disappointed in Windows ability to use all available horsepower. I know Linux has made some real advances in graphics engines. I also trust that you can use more of new hardware horsepower more efficiently.

I guess this is mostly a question about java but... Does RPtools scale well to a quad processor machine with 4gig+ of memory?

Blog Entries

I have a quaddie running XP x64 which does 38GFlops. So whats the problem with windows and performance. I realize that with Linux you can squeeze a little extra over windows but its really not that significant. Its probably more true to say that more apps are written with performance in mind for Linux that most do for windows however but thats not the OS fault. Would you like to comment more on why you think that Linux can use more esp in graphics end ?

Edit -- if anyone has a tuned up quaddie Linux box then maybe they could post their top processing figure. It would be pretty interesting. I am no Win fanboi. I expect that my next OS will be a linux variant - prob Ubuntu - but it doesn't seem to just quite be there for me yet - no dis to any linux or anything its just me.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-29-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Just a performance question JF.

I"m considering a new (for me) monster machine and I'm disappointed in Windows ability to use all available horsepower. I know Linux has made some real advances in graphics engines. I also trust that you can use more of new hardware horsepower more efficiently.

I guess this is mostly a question about java but... Does RPtools scale well to a quad processor machine with 4gig+ of memory?
    Unfortunately, I can't answer this question as I am not a java expect or know much about linux either. Trevor is the lead developer for Maptool and is a member here or you can ask this over on the rptools forum. Of course, you can't actually have one program address 4+ gigs of memory unless you are using a 64 bit OS and probably java as well...

hmm.... that reminds me, I just noticed the other day that they now have a 64 bit beta version of GIMP and since I have 4 GB, 64 bit Windows, I should probably check it out to be able to use more of my physical RAM....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Oh if you find that link can you post it. I looked for it the other week and saw that they had compiled it but could not find a link to the download. I am tempted to change from PSP to either Gimp or Xara based on what goes 64 bit.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    First thing to do is to go check out the video tutorials, there have been some incredible changes since they were made, mostly around how the macro language functions. Once the 1.3 release is finalized, the tutorial author will work on doing some more video tuts.

Also, if you could stay up on a Friday/Sat night, I would be happy to give you a run down of how to do the most common things and can even do voice over Ventrillo if you wanted. Of course, we would have to work out a schedule if you wanted to do that....
    Thats a very kind offer JF Let me play around with it a bit and if I dont get it working I'll stay up
    My Map Challenge Entries

I see that you have already been taken care of. Sorry for the late response.

I will direct Trevor to this thread so that he is aware of it.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Sagenlicht, I'm another proponent for and user of maptool. I know that trevor would be very interested in know which parts of the learning curve were difficult and which elements need to be made clearer. The next iteration will be on the user interface so that's really useful.

If you get stuck, you can always post here and one of us will help out, or post to the rptools forum - they are also a friendly bunch.