Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First map. Sort of.

Map First map. Sort of.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180407_221608.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	5.42 MB 
ID:	110698

Well, this is one of the first maps I made. I tried uploading it before, but I couldn't figure out the mobile site, because I'm an absolute moron. In any case, criticism is eagerly welcomed.

Nice linework. How do you get the fading texture on the edges near the coasts? Is it a rubbing over a texture source?

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Nice linework. How do you get the fading texture on the edges near the coasts? Is it a rubbing over a texture source?
    Thank you, the coastline is kind of excessively simple, though. As for the shading, it's stippling,(I used it to give a sense of the low lying areas). The entirety of the map was made manually, by hand, so texture packs are out of the question.

That is some really well done stippling though.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    That is some really well done stippling though.
    Thank you. It was the second time I had tried stippling, so there are a lot of mistakes I'd imagine XD. And it took forever, but I kind of enjoyed the process, even though it basically boiled down to tapping the paper with my pen.

Excellent line work and use of pen textures throughout. I like your choice of the solid black shadow to set off the coastline, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    Excellent line work and use of pen textures throughout. I like your choice of the solid black shadow to set off the coastline, too.
    Thank you. Yeah, coast shadow is something I do, since I can't specifically make the waterbodies a different colour, than the landmass.

Just yesterday I learned to read (elder) Futhark runes. I did not expect to be able to use that knowledge this quickly!

I have one question though: what is the scale of this map? I find it really hard to tell how large Alviora is.
    I have a deviantART and an Instagram! Shiny

Pretty cool first map! A very pleasing arrangement, I especially like the compass rose.
    Last edited by Kellerica; 10-11-2018 at 04:18 PM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

The stippling is excellent; it really does look almost like you rubbed the pencil over a rough surface. Your mountains are great, too - top-notch shading!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast