Thread: World Map for my Campaign - WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Very painterly, very nice. About the only thing even worth mentioning is that the hex grid is kind of dominating the beauty of the map, but I understand why it's there.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wip Update to the Oceans

Here is my campaign world - without the hexes - and with a whole heck of a lot of texture on the ocean...

i was not happy with the painterly swirls, and enjoyed some textures on other folks maps... so I found a couple of high res satellite photos of the ocean and built up some stormy seas with them...

not sure if it has reached its final state (the ocean) but I like it more than I did... if i get super insane i might move that sweet looking spiral from the Sea of Dreams in the northwest to the Sea of Storms in the southwest...

phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map2.jpg 
Views:	771 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	10707  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by philipstephen View Post
    Here is my campaign world - without the hexes - and with a whole heck of a lot of texture on the ocean...

i was not happy with the painterly swirls, and enjoyed some textures on other folks maps... so I found a couple of high res satellite photos of the ocean and built up some stormy seas with them...

not sure if it has reached its final state (the ocean) but I like it more than I did... if i get super insane i might move that sweet looking spiral from the Sea of Dreams in the northwest to the Sea of Storms in the southwest...

phil
    I really like the close-up of Istarnia - it has a pretty nice hand-drawn/painted style to it. It doesn't look like it lines up perfectly to the Istarnia region on the larger map. On the large map, Istarnia looks more circular (like a smaller circle sitting tangent to the Shadowlands circle).

The larger map has an interesting painted/sketchy look. It's not bad, and has a nice aesthetic. I don't know if the somewhat photo-realistic stormclouds in the latest version quite match the sketchy/painted look very well, though.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

These are great maps. The brush strokes are a little raw still in a few of them, but I love the new sea texture. The purple mountains in the detail map are a little much for me - perhaps tone these down a little?

Great maps overall. Looks like a fun campaign setting. Duly repped.

Help Eladrin Forest City

I am working on ideas for an eladrin forest city (moon elves) - centered around a mystic tower that is made from a massive living tree...

the root system is like a highway for them and homes and buildings are part of the tree...

it is surrounded by mystic portals to the outside world - but only 3 of the 6 portals still work...

does anyone have already made maps of tree cities or towers that could be reimagined into tree trunks?

Wip forest and mountain textures

likely the black outline will go or change...

but here is the map with a bit of work on forest and mountain textures.

i almost want to move the circular mountain ring a little south east... but that would be a major pain in the butt...

phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map2.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	935.3 KB 
ID:	11129  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

It's looking very painterly, at this point, and whatever you did to the stormy seas really helped bring it in line with the style used throughout the rest of the map. Good job!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EleshRemix3.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	78320

After some time away and more tinkering with my novel, I changed the outline of my world map and started afresh a bit.

Not sure what craziness I will do next.