Thread: Hills and Rivers in Wilbur with Fractal Noise

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What are the altitude ranges for each range? You're telling Wilbur to fill the selected area with fractal noise from 0 to 1 (Amplitude), which will show as constant green If the maximum value in your map is much above 100. As Greason Wolfe suggests, use multiply as the operation if you want to keep the maximum altitude roughly what's shown in your map. If your ocean is 0, using multiply can let you apply the fractal noise to the entire surface at once without having to select each altitude individually.

I don't recommend using a surface that large, especially for initial roughing in of the terrain. Fill Basins is likely to fail with a crash and performance using Incise Flow is likely to be "maybe it will finish". Starting with a much smaller surface and scaling up to your final size is much more likely to be effective.

The shown portion is a crop of a much larger piece, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    What are the altitude ranges for each range?
    After trying to sort it out via selection->height ranges in Wilbur, I have the following ranges (each color is a single value within that range, but I don't know the exact value of that color):
    1-100
    101-110
    111-120
    121-200
    201-220
    221-250
    251-300

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    I don't recommend using a surface that large, especially for initial roughing in of the terrain. Fill Basins is likely to fail with a crash and performance using Incise Flow is likely to be "maybe it will finish". Starting with a much smaller surface and scaling up to your final size is much more likely to be effective.
    Is it possible to scale the image in Wilbur? I tried the Scale function, but it didn't do what I think it did. While I'm on the subject, what do Scale and Span (Under Filter->Mathematical) do?

The shown portion is a crop of a much larger piece, correct?
    Correct.
    Last edited by Coggleton; 11-17-2020 at 11:41 AM.