So I know before I even type this that likely few people are going to go to this level of detail, but I like things to be in the right ballpark of correct in my drawings and for that I need a range. So if I have a canopy of a tree and I want to know how big the stump would appear, what is the answer?

I am going to provide my simple answer here for future reference, but if we happen to have an arborist who can provide better numbers (or heck, even an experienced gardener) please feel free to respond and supplement or disprove my figures.

Notes: I used the dbh method for calculating diameter (diameter at breast height). A quick google search will let you replicate if you like.

I measured an orange tree in my yard. Trunk diameter is approximately 12 inches (30.5 cm), canopy is approximately 18 feet (550 cm), giving a ratio of 1:18. Stated another way, the trunk is about 1/18th of the width of the largest canopy diameter.

Next, I measured an old oak tree in my yard. Trunk diameter is approximately 24.2 inches (61.5 cm), canopy is approximately 60 feet (1829 cm), giving a ratio of 1:30. Stated another way, the trunk is about 1/30th of the width of the largest canopy diameter.

I picked these two because they seemed representative of a reasonable range for canopy to trunk diameter. The cedars in my yard would probably yield a better number for coniferous trees, but I am assuming deciduous at the moment.

So, my answer for now is between 1:18 and 1:30 is reasonable.

- E