Thread: Elements of 19th century maps?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Hey Jurgen!

Hey Jurgen, good to see you at the Guild!

There's a group here that do Alternate Earth History stuff. Now I know Urbis is not an alternate Earth, however the kind of maps they work with fall into that social-political 19th century styled for the kind of work they do. It might be worth check out. Although I don't believe they use terrain symbols like mountains.

Here's a link to one of those Alternate Earth guys...
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ernate+history

A nice use of mountains for a distinctive 19th century look might be Bohunks winning January Challenge map...
    East Tharduur

Its probably worth checking out the entire thread to see his process from start to finish.

Many people use Wilbur (created by Waldronate, another member here) which creates realistic 3D terrain, then export to a image format, import to GIMP or PS and lightening it up, heighten contrast, otherwise enhance toward a more minimalist style with transparency, export as a transparent PNG that you bring into Inkscape and place where you need them. Wilbur is a free download.

There are many ways to approach what you're asking with differing results.

Good luck in your endeavors!

GP

PS: I know you'll want to place Inkscape as your primary software. See the software list under my name? Go to Edit your Profile, then settings, go to the bottom of the page. Enter your preferred software in there, and it will show up like it does under my name and stats, to left of page. OK?
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-28-2009 at 09:52 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations