Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introducing Hexographer: Hex maps made easy

Post Introducing Hexographer: Hex maps made easy

Well, I definitely feel like I'm dipping my toes in the deep end here by posting about my humble little project among all of the wonderful maps here. And maybe the audience for my software isn't quite the same as the experts here, but maybe you'll want to give me some constructive criticism or maybe you might want to use this for a quick and dirty map, or as the basis/first step/layer for a more detailed map... but I digress.

For a little over a month, I've been working on a new project that allows someone to easily create maps in the style of the "Known World" or "Voyage of the Princess Ark" (from Dragon magazine) or other late 80s/early 90s D&D maps.

I've now gotten it to a point where I think all the major features that will be in version 1.0 are now part of the software. Some minor features may be added and definitely bug fixes will be made as it moves from this version (.70) to 1.0.

Below is a sample portion of a map created using the software:

I'm still calling this version "alpha" so until it becomes "beta" (which I expect to happen in a week) new versions may not load older versions of maps. (So in other words please try it out, but please also understand that if you put a lot of work into creating a large complex map now, it may not load later.) Again, once it is "beta" or later everything possible will be done to re-load maps created with earlier "beta" versions of the software.

I hope you find it useful and please post or email (see my address in the "Help->About" dialog of the software) any comments or issues you encounter. Thanks!

Hexographer Link

P.S. I'm still trying to slightly limit how many people see the early versions of the software. Until it goes "beta" please refrain from posting about it elsewhere. Thank you!

I think this is a great tool! Hex maps have always been and always should be a part of fantasy mapping. I'll download it and have a play. Thanks for debuting your software here, SowelBlack and welcome to the Guild!

Neat... both the software and the site in general... any problem with spreading some of the articles?

And repped.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

I'll give this a whirl if I get a chance.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome. It looks like it does a great job and the colors are sweet as well. I'll definitely be spinnin this around as I love me some old school.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I love hex maps. Awesome program.
    My random map generators and GIMP scripts: http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isomage/

This looks really great. When the downloadable version with custom imports is ready I could see me using this a lot for maps on the fly, or roughing out an area to map in detail later.

A request to expand its client-base whilst you're developing:

There are a lot of sci-fi gamers too. A blank black sheet as well as a blank white would be useful, especially if it looked black on the screen but printed white to save my ink. The custom imports will allow for the creation of symbols for planets, bases, fleets, ships and vehicles.

Dunno if that's possible, just a suggestion.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Good ideas there diceman.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Looks great! How does the Custom map numbers grid work?

Thanks a lot for all the compliments!

Quote Originally Posted by Notsonoble View Post
    Neat... both the software and the site in general... any problem with spreading some of the articles?

And repped.
    You're welcome to post the other article anywhere, but I'm asking that no one else post about the Hexographer until it is beta (hopefully next week) although it is getting posted elsewhere by people who don't seee my request. That's ok, because it isn't happening much.

Quote Originally Posted by icosahedron View Post
    This looks really great. When the downloadable version with custom imports is ready I could see me using this a lot for maps on the fly, or roughing out an area to map in detail later.

A request to expand its client-base whilst you're developing:

There are a lot of sci-fi gamers too. A blank black sheet as well as a blank white would be useful, especially if it looked black on the screen but printed white to save my ink. The custom imports will allow for the creation of symbols for planets, bases, fleets, ships and vehicles.

Dunno if that's possible, just a suggestion.
    You'll probably see that very soon... let me know what you think when I post that has been added.

Quote Originally Posted by slapzilla View Post
    Looks great! How does the Custom map numbers grid work?
    I'm not sure i understand the question... can you rephrase it? I am working on a new feature that will let you change the hex numbering from xx.yy to yy.xx. You will also be able to choose a different separator character, what number to start numbering the rows and what number for the columns, whether the hex number iis on the top or bottom of the hex, and the hex numbers' font/style/size/color. Is that what you were wondering?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast