10 76.92%
  • Avolire Keep by BluePhoenix175

5 38.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VOTING TIME Dec Feb/Mar '22 Lite Challenge: Map a Castle

Default VOTING TIME Dec Feb/Mar '22 Lite Challenge: Map a Castle

VOTING TIME Dec Feb/Mar '22 Lite Challenge: Map a Castle

This month the Lite Challenge was to Map a Castle.
    I guess this wasn't as popular a subject. We had 3 entries, but one is not an official entry since he has already won a Gold compass.
    So there are just 2 maps to vote on.

Check out the Thumbnails of both of these entries, and don't forget to click on each one so you can see them at full size.

CLICK HERE for Challenge Thumbnails & Large maps

The voting will last for 3 days and the winner will receive a shiny silver compass!

Regardless of who you vote for, please don't forget to REP everyone who you feel deserves it, we may only have 3 entries but they still deserve your consideration.

Hi Bogie, The 3rd entry is not available for voting.

"We had 3 entries, but one is not an official entry since he has already won a Gold compass.
    So there are just 2 maps to vote on."
    Bogie spoken!

Okay cool. Thanks for the clarification.
    View my website and Instagram

I guess this wasn't as popular a subject. We had 3 entries, but one is not an official entry
    The two maps look unfinished to me. The unofficial one isn't a map yet, but a model, too. Maybe the subject was too constrained and difficult to create. Do another "map this shape", you'll get 20 people in here.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    The two maps look unfinished to me. The unofficial one isn't a map yet, but a model, too. Maybe the subject was too constrained and difficult to create. Do another "map this shape", you'll get 20 people in here.
    if you have any advice or suggestions i am always willing to hear how i can improve my maps.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

I am with Kisachik on this.

Quote Originally Posted by BluePhoenix175 View Post
    if you have any advice or suggestions i am always willing to hear how i can improve my maps.
    Hmm, I'd like to make a few notes, maybe see it as brainstorming on how to improve it. For one, though the lineart is decent, BUT it feels like it was still in the concept phase, which would actually make for a good foundation if you used it as a guide to do your main linework from it. Maybe try that next.
    Secondly, though cutting off areas to give the paper feel is a good idea, the texture lacking for that doesn't really give it that feel. Maybe try and put parchment texture above it, desaturate it, and put that layer on overlay. (I normally add a duplicate of that on multiply on lower opacity just to get stuff to pop even more.)

Explore a bit with what I said, and remember, even if you don't get it right immediately, it's still experience.
    Good luck! And happy mapping!

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Don't know about others, but for me, it didn't have anything to do with not being interested in participating and everything to do with timing. Had to let an employee go for doing something that they shouldn't have done, and with literally no applications being returned, I have been pulling 10 to 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for the last month. So no time for me to participate unless Mr. B runs something like "map your bedroom."

Hopefully the next challenge will see a little more activity.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Maybe the subject was too constrained and difficult to create.
    Do another "map this shape", you'll get 20 people in here.
    I should not have expected people to create castles in 3 weeks, this should have been another 2 month run.
    And Map this Shape is exactly what I was considering for the next challenge! I like the way you think Kisachick!

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    So no time for me to participate unless Mr. B runs something like "map your bedroom."
    On the other hand, "Map Greason Wolfe's Bedroom" sounds like a great challenge. You wouldn't mind if we all came over to take some measurements would you?

Quote Originally Posted by BluePhoenix175 View Post
    Since I don't have a lot of drawing skill I usually don't try to give specific advice on hand drawn maps. But, here are my thoughts..
    I like what you did with the parchment background, but the parchment texture is very faint. It shows pretty well on my large monitor, but would fade to nothing on a lot of smaller screens like tablets or phones. As XCali said, punch it up a bit stronger. I also like your line work on the contours and it is a very good layout. I think it is the buildings and text that looks unfinished. Give the buildings a defined outline, some texture and a little shadowing.
    Use a computer Font or actual calligraphy for the text. Overall your map is a good starting point, you just need to polish it up a little.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast