Thread: Fractal Terrains tools a little wacky

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Contact ProFantasy tech support about the crashing grid problem. I understand there is a fix available for it.

Thanks to both for your input, I will try as you suggest. I think this is less program issue and more user error, as I'm so new to FT. I did upgrade FT last weekend to the latest and greatest, and I think I have all the patches. I'll check.

It strikes me that your select-a-region approach would be a lot less time consuming and result in a more uniform result. They're averages anyway; why should I want to have bitty little regional differences? That's basically the kind of solution I was hoping for, I just hadn't tried it yet because I didn't know if the "global" tools would apply only to a selection. It was 5 am, after all.

I'll do that, I'm sure it'll work fine. Maybe I'll start from a base min temp and work up globally, given that the suggestions are so crude. I like that anyway. Always do it the fiddly way, that seems to be my motto.
    Last edited by Girltron; 04-08-2009 at 04:59 PM.

Oh-it's not that the gridlines don't work for me; it's that I don't know how to use them properly. I thought I'd have access to a full manual when I downloaded the upgrade, but I didn't see it anywhere. I may have deleted it out of my "downloads" folder without thinking. I'll contact Profantasy about that question eventually.

So I figured out the gridlines. That part's good. The lasso-global-lower-temperature thing didn't work out so very well, because all the uneven spots within the selection area stayed uneven and still needed to be sort of pixel-painted individually, and of course the level of detail isn't great though my editing resolution's quite high, so I can't fully repair the area. There's a stupid half-moon shape of spots left and I can't change them without altering the surrounding climate too...so I'm leaving them alone. Fixing the climate globally would work but I just don't have the stamina. I don't think I could do a great job having to adjust ALL of that anyway.

What FT seems to need is a way to dial in the settings one wants in selected area. Just type in the temp/rainfall/elevation settings to be applied to the whole selection. Right now the only tools allow you to type in the DEGREE OF CHANGE which isn't helpful if you need to even out an uneven area. Fixing anything takes much longer this way than it needs to.