Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: *** April 09 Challenge [Sponsored] - A habitation for the CWBP ***

Guild Novice

IG

Obviously really going by the name, I've been ploughing through the wiki and forums plenty of ideas going on here. I am now looking for a suitable location on the fens. Cheers!

Blog Entries

Hi ajwa68 & welcome,

Depending on what you have in mind for the Thrubmorton Fen thing the main thing to remember is that in that area most of the people are on the high ground and the lizard men infest the swamp. This is especially true to the North gravitating to the Deathchaser Fen where you have to be mad or somebody with a band of blood lusty viking types to go there.

If your looking for a more peaceful area with access to water then you could put a town / village down on the left of the tile under Knights tomb and have something going into that lake to the left of Snapgallows or on the rivers which go into the lake. That lake goes into Vronti Lake and onwards towards the sea so that there might be some chance of doing some goods shuttling to Villdoan or Harrle in the lands of Skolvendun.

I don't think it has to be an existing place. I always imagined that there were villages scattered among the maps too small to put a proper marker against.

Edit - possible locations on the Fens. To the left is Neons tile and he might be able to suggest locations for that too.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 04-13-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Guild Novice

Thanks Redrobes

I was thinking of the delta at the top of Lake Festas (do you have a name for that area?)

A small town (pop 300) of merchants and associated trades.

Blog Entries

You can do. You should note that there are a lot of Centaur on those plains who we have been told dont take to human encroachment too well. In my tile I have a few outposts situated on the tops of the hills looking out over the plains. There are lightly manned with guards on rotation to the other forts. Not much to do up there really other than to keep an eye out for an invading force. So if you can think of a way that this would integrate then you could do that.

Theres a map I am being hit with which is this Kalabar one too. I dont know quite what thats all about actually. I'll try to find out and add in. But its showing a 500+ pop village on the bank at the top.

Edit: Kalabari details over here...
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2188

(Theres nothing at all in the wiki for Kalabar so I think we should add something !)
    Last edited by Redrobes; 04-13-2009 at 07:48 PM.

Guild Novice

Just reading the Kalabar stuff, quite interesting and impacts on Lake Festas as a whole. I hadn't come up with a race or demographic but was heading towards a Norse type which fits with the Kalabari. It all sounds a bit complicated down there though. I like the locations below Knights tomb and the trade with Skolvendun.

The town (village) name I have been playing with is Gorsmering
    Last edited by ajwa68; 04-13-2009 at 08:22 PM.

Blog Entries

Thats cool. Well, you have a better idea of whats happening in the regions now.

The area under KnightsTomb is pretty virgin. Snapgallows the town is well done but the area surrounding was not detailed too much more. I think it would be good in general to have a shipping route from the sea into the Thrub region and that little area is the only sensible link to the sea.

Think about what fits best with your idea and start a thread.

What is the deadline on this month's Challenge? (if possible) We did get started on the 9th, and I've seemingly challenged myself by picking a city with a population of 20000!
    Adam Watts

Its a about 2 or 3 days before the end of the month officially although we do sometimes overrun if were too busy to do the voting page. You've got a huge challenge to map something that big in so short a time.

Quote Originally Posted by overwatch View Post
    What is the deadline on this month's Challenge? (if possible) We did get started on the 9th, and I've seemingly challenged myself by picking a city with a population of 20000!
    What about if you halved the population? There's no real details on the city yet; I'm sure whosever area it is won't mind too much.

Oh, wait.. that's me.

Seriously, I had intended for it to be a major area, but whatever you need to do to make it work for you is cool with me. I'm just happy to see someone working on an area in the Witchlight Strand besides me.

-IG

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We're running this one long. Firm Deadline is sometime mid-day April 30th. Voting will run into May, and overlap May's challenge.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast