Thread: Planetary heatmap creation in matlab

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

yes the idea was to model independent systems and then couple together for interaction , I wanted to start first with the heat transfer and balance of energy to determine the general heating and surface temperature, I yet have to implement differential types of emissivity for land , sea and in future ice too , to keep things simple, I didn't want to model 3dimensional verticality in atmosphere or in ocean depth , eventually I might add a a second layer of shallow water and deep water , butyet to be seen , mathlab is giving me headakes to make it work as I want and I am not understaiding yet how to fix the issue that the north emisphere doesnt get colder in winter and so warmer the southern emisphere, somethig is wrong .

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    mathlab is giving me headakes to make it work as I want
    I believe that is the primary functionality of matlab, yes.

I'm not sure what physical quantity "angle_of_incidence_Function" is supposed to be calculating. Can you elaborate on what it is and how you got to those equations? I recognize that they are similar to the ones given on the Wikipedia "eccentric anomaly" page for angle and radius, but they are a bit different as the radius needs to be calculated from the ellipse center rather than one of the foci.

I vaguely recall reading once that Earthlike worlds probably don't occur with significantly ellipsoidal orbits because it messes with the atmospheric processes (or maybe it was excessive temperature swings that would make life unlikely). But that would have been a very long time ago and just for that one paper, so I may be recalling incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    I believe that is the primary functionality of matlab, yes.

I'm not sure what physical quantity "angle_of_incidence_Function" is supposed to be calculating. Can you elaborate on what it is and how you got to those equations? I recognize that they are similar to the ones given on the Wikipedia "eccentric anomaly" page for angle and radius, but they are a bit different as the radius needs to be calculated from the ellipse center rather than one of the foci.

I vaguely recall reading once that Earthlike worlds probably don't occur with significantly ellipsoidal orbits because it messes with the atmospheric processes (or maybe it was excessive temperature swings that would make life unlikely). But that would have been a very long time ago and just for that one paper, so I may be recalling incorrectly.
    here are the parameters I have used to calculate the angle of incidence of the heat :
    Some fixed params :
    Code:
    rho = 1.225 ; % atmospheric density
    P = 1; % atmospheric pressure
    To = 20; % average temperature of ocean in °C
    Tp = 15; % average temperature of plains in °C
    Tm = 5; % average temperature of mountains in °C
    Orbital_Period = 365; % Define the number of days in the year
    axial_tilt = (23 * pi) / 180; % Define planet's axial tilt
    day_of_year = 1; % any value between 1 and 365 
    months_in_year = 12;
    days_in_month = 365 / months_in_year;
    Eccentricity = 0.0167086;
    perihelion_day = 3;
    Mean_Anomaly  = 2 * pi * (day_of_year - perihelion_day) / Orbital_Period
    %some variable naming
    Code:
    "day_of_year" - the day of the year
    "axial_tilt" - the axial tilt of the object
    "Positional_Matrix" - the positional matrix latitude parameter on the grid map.
    "Orbital_Period" - the orbital period of the object
    "Eccentricity" - the eccentricity of the object's orbit
    "Mean_Anomaly" - the mean anomaly of the object
    "perihelion_day" - the perihelion day of the object.
    % Define the latitude of each element in the map
    Code:
    Positional_Matrix = zeros(n, m); % latitude in radians
    for latitude_index = 1:n
    for longitude_index = 1:m
    Positional_Matrix(latitude_index, longitude_index) = ((n/2 - latitude_index ) * pi / n);  %from  -π/2 to  π/2 in radiants (-1.57 to 1.57 )
    end
    end
    % Calculate the eccentric anomaly

Code:
    Eccentric_Anomaly = 2 * atan(sqrt((1 - Eccentricity) / (1 + Eccentricity)) * tan(Mean_Anomaly / 2));
    % Calculate the solar declination

Code:
    delta = asin(sin(axial_tilt) * sin(2 * pi * (Eccentric_Anomaly - day_of_year) / Orbital_Period));
    % Calculate the angle of incidence

Code:
    Theta = acos(sin(Positional_Matrix) * sin(delta) + cos(Positional_Matrix) * cos(delta));
    % Calculate the heat balance of the planet

Code:
    H = S * (1 - Alb) * cos(Theta) / (4 * Emiss) * rho * P; % heat balance in W/m^2;