Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Finding a world map with an isostatic rebounded Antarctica

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

To quote the great Barbara Millicent Roberts: "Math class is hard!" Yes, it should be 21600 wide and 10800 high as shown on the Wilbur dialog, not 21800 wide as I mistyped later.

When saving as a PNG in Wilbur using File>>Save As, save it as a PNG Texture rather than a PNG Surface. Or, use Texture>>Save Texture As.

Getting a precise palette in Wilbur is a little painful, but you should be able to use Shader Setup for the Wilbur shader, Set Absolute Coloring for Land and Sea, enter your desired minimum and maximum land altitude values, then the maximum (sea level) and minimum (Abs Min) values. Then Click Color List on the Land side and enter 10 colors, representing the 1000 foot intervals. Do the same for the Color List on the Sea side. I kept meaning to get around to making that easier to use, but I don't really use that feature very much anymore.

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Great news, it worked! In addition, I'm using the map in my project!

It's as secure as any other site I've ever put up. I'm far too lazy to get a certificate (and it's really pointless for me to put up a certificate that says "it's secure *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*").
    If you're going to go to the effort to use GDAL via a python wrapper, maybe just use gdalwarp directly?

I did also recently put this together with the intention of specifically allowing for reversible projections, but it's a bit rough around the edges (I'm working on it) https://github.com/hersfeldtn/projectionpasta

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Hey worldbuilding pasta! A huge fan of your work. Anyways, can you answer two questions?

1. Can you maybe convert this map of AML, a small prject that is really underrated, check it out! I've checked on G-Projector, and the map is maybe Miller Cylindrical 1, but you can say otherwise.
    Here it is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AML_World.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	243.9 KB 
ID:	136451

2. In the climate tutorial on Worldbuilding Pasta, do you know a process on how to measure coastline distance? It would really help precipitation maps.

Thanks!

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Also, I'm trying to convert to Equirectangular.

It does indeed appear to have been Miller

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AML_eq.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	258.1 KB 
ID:	136474

You can import an equirectangular map into gplates as a raster and use the line-measuring tool there to get coastline distance, but you shouldn't regard the distance guidelines in that tutorial as being terribly precise.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123