Most of the current synthesis models are good at elaboration (it's what they do: searches from the current pixel context in their encoded database of prior art to find something similar). The basic operation of most of the image generators is to start with a low-res noise image and some areas of the database to explore (the prompt) and then explore the database in the specified area to elaborate on the current image. Repeat until converged.
If you start with "make me a map", you'll find that there aren't really a huge number of basic maps, so they tend to look similar (even more similar than when humans do it). If you start with a sketch, then it can elaborate on that sketch to get something new based on the details in somebody else's work. The question has always been regarding how much human input does there need to be to get something that would qualify as "unique". For example, if you use one of the "mood" generators to get a palette of colors that were used harmoniously in lots of maps, does that qualify as using AI to do the map? If you start from a rough sketch and let the system do its thing, how much of the human is there? If you generate a full map by hand and then get some border or field decorations, how about there? If you start with a model, train it on a corpus of your own work and then get back things in your style, how close is that to questionable?
My want has always been (for over 40 years now) for a genie that will let me paint a few areas with magic paint and let the genie do the hard work that requires the kind of detail-oriented talent that I lack. We've gotten closer and closer to that want for years (cloning, Poisson blending, and now "AI"). But it's only in the last few years that I have paused to consider how much I would matter in that process and I'm very much not sure these days.
Personally, if you're using generative, tools, I would like to see information about which tools and which elements on the final map were so generated. I also like to see this information for current works (paint program vs. paint on canvas, stamps from a library vs entirely hand-generated, for example) and I would love to see information on how long it would take folks to get the final result. WIPs are very useful, because (especially for things like paint programs such as Photoshop) how the tool is used is frequently as useful as the final image itself for anyone trying to learn.