Quote Originally Posted by Ceru View Post
Several dark lines flow from both sides of the mountain and instead of coming together to form a valley or something, they flow north, creating a huge river up there and ending at the west coast. I know and read that all rivers flow downhill hill, but for this map in particular, the smaller rivers are flowing north instead of south, which makes no sense (since gravity pulls everything down, I'm assuming most rivers would flow south because 'south' is 'down') so, I just can't imagain it going up north.

The pull of gravity on a planet is the sum of all its particles causing a pull on another object, including those in the northern hemisphere. The direction of the pull of gravity is towards the center of the planet. All the stuff on the planet is concentrated around an abstract point towards which they are all pulled, and because a planet is round, that point is at the center of the globe. North and south are defined by the rotation of the planet, not its gravity. Or the orbit of the planet around its star or the rotation of its star etc. north and south are arbitrary.

Basically, to gravity, it does not matter where on the globe you are, rivers always flow downhill, towards the center of the Earth.