Thread: Detchersville

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hey Rob

yeah, that's all well and good, but they're mostly for cities. I'm trying to make towns.

Does anyone have an opinion about where it's more likely for streets to be built - highs or lows? Neither?

I'm trying to find a way to make my houses more rectangular. Pondering having a collection of building brushes and trying them out at random for each area I want to have a building in - slightly miffed that there's no simple way to rotate a brush, though. Ah well.

Another way I've been thinking it to draw a path inside each area, and then stroke them all. Not sure how well that'll work, but worth a shot, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfar View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion about where it's more likely for streets to be built - highs or lows? Neither?
    Lows. That way stormwater flows off properties and into the streets and possibly gutters.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfar View Post
    It depends on why your town is there in the first place (which has a significant impact on the type of land on which the town is built). Many classic towns were built on hilltops or ridgelines to be more defensible. In that case the streets are built going into the hilltop fortification or along the ridgeline. If the town exists at a ford then the road is likely to cross the waterway at rougly right angles. A town at the intersection of two major roads is likely to form a grid-type section of roads around the intersection. A linear town built on a road paralleling a waterway will have the road neither higher nor lower than the buildings.