Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Kingdom Map beginning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well the game world does have an ancient "cousin" to the elf. These ancients are so intuned with elements that they actualy exhibit some of the traits. The water elves, or Meru-parli, have changed areas of rivers for a specific purpose in other parts of the world (Blood Plains map and history forth coming). I would like not to have to go that route for a few reasons.

1. I prefere not to use the its magic explanation
    2. I would have to wright a backstory on it
    3. The kingdom that this represents moved away from a high magic culture just for this type of reason
    4. I can not curently think of a good reason that a "whitch" or a Meru-Parli would change the course of this particular rver.

The history behind the Lakes name is as follows.

Until the Endless war the imperium hated, and feared magic. It began inocently enough, wanting to protect its citizens from coruption. But like all good intentions this one led to corruption. First was the banning of all arcane, people exhibiting power would be sent away with food and water. Then came the purge a time where the forces of the empire actively sought out and killed all arcane casters. There autrocities where naught compaired to the next step. The cropping period, arfued to still being continued to this day was a dreadfull time. People found with arcane talent where handed over to an elite unit ran by the church. The units sole purpose was to control Arcane casters. Praetors, as they where called, drew the most extreme people to their ranks. On one hand the infallible, such determination and selfless intentions that they would even make a paladin feel shamed. The other though, the majority, was those that reveild in controling others by any means. These Praetors, sadistic and cruel did atrocities that where unimaginable. It was during this time that a resisitance group started undermining the Empire and the church. Calling themselves the Scalmein Principality, a word meaning dirty secret. over time there numbers grew and with it there strength. It was during the hight of the endless war that the Scalmein Prince launched his full power against the empire. Fighting a war on two fronts was arguably the deciding factor in the war, but the Praetors where split none the less half of them sent to hunt the Prince and the others to aid against the Nuelm forces. Eventualy the path of coruption led back to the Evergrow forest and in there a small lake. The battle waged for two weeks resulting in most of the praetors lives, in the end only a handfull of praetors and their flock was left standing. The lucky members of the Scalmein Principality where killed, the rest where left to the devices of the Praetors. The prince was never captured nore his identity confirmed, he is presumed dead.

Sorry for the seguie, and the atrocious spelling

Alright I lied to my self. This is the current list of things to do any other sugestions will be added as I go.

Map Changes

1. Frost Blade Mountain >> Frost blade Mountains
    2. Pool Of Stars Outlit
    3. Trade roads of map
    4. West edge of mountains reduce wigh a bit
    5. Witches Haunt Lake label color
    6. River split needs to be a tributary Falsea river
    A: After correction rerout roads for ease of travel
    b: Continue the Falsea river into Pool of Stars (see change # 2.)

Other things I need to do for the feel of the map

1. Experiment with the color scheme trying for a more Sub-artic/artic enviroment
    2. Find a decent border
    3. add map title
    4. Afte finalization re evaluate map to reflect changes after the "Endless" War

Ok Made all the changes except the color change for a more Subartic artic environ ment. Attached is A full map including labels.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imperium2Test12.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	807.8 KB 
ID:	17422

A Non-lable map, for those that wish to intergrate this into their world.

Name:	Imperium2Test13.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	792.8 KB 
ID:	17423

And a completely clean map, containing just the terain. Incase you want to change it even more.

Name:	Imperium2Test14.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	791.5 KB 
ID:	17424

Steel, Hope this river sys is better the idea is that the 'Witches Haunt Lake' is a collection point in the forest. It then dumps into a tributary of the Falsea.

Rdan, whent ahead and just did a complete road sys instead of soing what my original thought was ( after debating the simple is more rule once again, lol). Also whent ahead and made an outlet for the 'Pool of Stars" as 1. I have a way to get it to a dumping point further east and 2. I lack the skills right now to depict an outlit into the underground.

Hope this version is better.

Future maps include: (4) Smaller regional maps, adding detail and cities to the Principalities of the Empire; County map of Balakovo and surrounding area; Close up map of Balakovo township designed for a VTT.

P.S. Hope the link is cool its just easier for the info since I already got it going on the OP
    Last edited by shantedracule; 10-05-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Forgot Somthing

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The rivers look fine to me.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Just as a thought... You wanted to mark cities with "Heraldry Markers".

I agree with the other guys who said "don't use the shield for the city", but I DO think that putting in the Heraldic Markers near the city (and possibly marking in the "shire/province/duchy" borders) and a simple key on a Cartouche is a good plan. If politics will become a big thing in this story, then knowing who owns what, where, for how long and all that sort of thing becomes important. I can't easily dig up a big map I did for a campaign world, but I deliberately put in coats of arms next to cities because the politics was a central plank of the bigger story.

This Might look a bit busy now. Sugestions are always welcomed also let me know where I need to improve.

Name:	Imperium2Test15.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	836.9 KB 
ID:	17445

The major Political Divisions are depicted here, This is the equivalent to grand duchies. The Titles where striped directly from Rusian( though I found one source saying that Tsarvich/Tsarvena was the title for Grand Duke/Duchess but that also stated that they where titles given to the children of the Tsar. Another Sight, believe it was wikipedia said that Korol was the equivelant to the next step down from Tsar, this also denoted that Imperator was another word for Tsar which I think I will be using.) I included a small sample to show the levels of Fieldty, though Vassal States of the Korols will be included in other maps as I still need to outline the family shields for them.

As a moderate dabbler in heraldry I'd suggest you do something very simple that will "un busy" your map a bit.

The people using the map will know that this is a "single kindgom of duchies" correct? If they do, then the easiest trick to denote the ruling family is to add a crown to the top of their crest.

Ruling Family
    [CROWN]
    [ROYAL COLOURS]
    [CREST]

Noble
    [CREST]

It clears up the issue visually, reduces your cartouche and doesn't add in anything that isn't kind of obvious.

Edit = late ideas...

If you are going to do anything with the neighbouring kingdoms, just stick the Royal Crest (with Crowns) out in the edges.

Just as a political thought Medvein is likely to be your 2nd strongest family (or should be) since they basically control lumber in the kingdom. I'd be making your ruling family the ones who control at least: Iron/Copper, Silver/Gold/Precious Gems & large supplies of workable stone. Stiglum and Storgrad will gain any/all of their power from agriculture; they appear to be the bread-basket duchies.
    Last edited by Juggernaut1981; 10-06-2009 at 06:29 PM.

The Idea for the Cartouche was fore thinking when I start geting down into the other areas but now that you mention it I could just as well Leave it be. This map denotes the major players other subsequent maps can be infered upone by this one...Yes, yes that would work.

When I created the map the first time the general idea was to have the capital Duchy control the majority of the mineral resources Being right near a mountain. Medvain was indead going to have the lumber trade as well as some animal husbandry. The southernmost area was going to be agricultural to a point but also be riddled with Ruins from a lost civilization. The eastern Duchy while not being the capital of the religious tradition was going to have the major religious training areas (in addition to agriculture).

Another few notes, due to the rather Xenophobic nature of this kingdom, Stiglum was going to have a large build up of military troops as most other kingdoms fall south by south east of this one.

I was also planning on small border conflicts within the kingdom (E.G. Stiglum cuting trees along the border and Medvein claiming poaching)

So I will probaly wind up using the Shield idea for a Feudal tree; showing the full relations with in the kingdom.

I make the base area in autorealm then move it to gimp, the finished products here are gimp.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234