Thread: Raw SVG

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

/Looks up from editing fortran77
    /shakes fist at pesky kids

(seriously though - any language with line length restrictions due to the size of punchcards should be dead and buried. Why oh why it still exists in physics is beyond me)

As for svg files, I can entirely see the OP's point. I've done a bit of editing eps files by hand too and it's surprisingly straighforward, though I haven't done the same with svg.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    (seriously though - any language with line length restrictions due to the size of punchcards should be dead and buried. Why oh why it still exists in physics is beyond me)
    Because they haven't switched to fortran90 or later? Granted gfortran may not be all you want, but the commercial compilers are more than adequate. Still, there are enough differences in the languages that tracking down the resulting bugs is a royal pain in the fundament.

As for svg files, I can entirely see the OP's point. I've done a bit of editing eps files by hand too and it's surprisingly straighforward, though I haven't done the same with svg.
    Well, postscript is just another stack-oriented reverse polish language. If you were comfortable with the original HP RPN calculators, it's easy to learn. Forth is equivalent fun.

And svg files look quite simple by comparison.
    Selden

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Fortran 77 use in physics persists as a constant reminder that the real world has uncomfortable spots that your theories will need to take into account. In short, it's good practice, if a bit inconvenient.