Looks good. How easy/hard was it to put together? I'm certainly interested in suggestions you have for improvement.
Since we collectively sorted out Torstans tiles on ViewingDale I thought Id have a play to see what I could do with them. So I have used quite a few of them in this map. The only non Torstan tiled bit is that I have applied a mud coloured texture between all the rooms but thats it. Everything else is from his set. Since its just a test this is a finished map.
That came out quite nicely.
My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Ghoraja Juun, my largely stagnated campaign setting.
Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.
Thanks, I thought it looked alright too and it was pretty easy to put stuff together. Its a bit fiddly and could do with grouping bits together into a large selection of rooms and corridors etc but I can do that no problem. I found myself reusing the corners and walls a lot.
The only odd bit is that there's two sets of walls, one with the stones on the grid and one with the stones to the side of the grid. I made most of the map with the stones on the grid but when I got to the right hand side and put in the stairs going down then the stairs are full width so you have to switch to stone on side of grid and fill in with stairs in between. I'm guessing that you designed it so that you stick with one or the other but I found that you need to switch to make it work out. I don't think that the issue can be avoided either.
To make the mud texture I took the final map and saved out a big copy then just edited that map into a black and white mask, blurred it a bit and used it as an alpha transparency with a mud texture color image. Then sat it back on top. So that took just a few minutes too.
Thanks for the note about the stairs. Having the walls on the grid is preferable if there's vision blocking as that can snap to grid but still leave some of the wall exposed.
THe one thing I did notice is that with the torches snapped to grid they look a little like they are floating in mid air. Might be better to have these unsnapped so they can sit flush with the walls.
Thats me being a bit lazy. I can put them anywhere. What they need is a torch sconce
Heres a pic of bits were talking about. I have some doors on here too cos we found that a door in the arch looks great and better than a simple door on its own. Also you can open them too.
Got you. Yes, the doors do look better in the arches - though they do need resized to do that nicely in general. Those pre-composited ones work really well.
As for the walls and the stairs - I place the stairs on the bottom and lay the wall over the top. Ideally the walls have the highest z-ordering of all objects. That gets around the issues, and avoids the issue of stairs being over the wall shadow, or the straight edge of the stairs not quite lining up with the irregular edge of the wall.
Yes that would make sense. ViewingDale does not have user settable Z order. It computes that based on the icon sizes. If you crash two sets of dungeon parts together then it sorts it all out for you which is great but its a restriction in these situations. I might make a 4 square set of steps out of 4 x 1 sqr set then it would correct itself.
There, just put two singles together and they are bigger than a single wall so it sorts it all out now. Its all just getting around to doing it most of the time.
Ill try to make up some rooms and corridors as groupings to use then it should be real quick to make a map with these tiles.