Thread: Tornalia (WIP - later stages)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Tornalia: part III

Next, I turned my attention to coloring and labeling the landmasses. In the first image in this set, you can see a rough color scheme for the main continent (the islands are still gray) and some regional labels. At the same time, I was tweaking the mountains, rivers, and lakes. Note the change (yet again) in the shape of the Elder Mountains, and the addition of the Zarra Sea (a salt lake) to their east.

The colors of the map represent the various ecological and climactic regions. I was influenced by this map of biomes (near the bottom of the page): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biome. The colors themselves were inspired by satellite photos and by other maps I found here at the Guild. However, this version of the map is not supposed to be photorealistic...rather, it is a compromise between more realistic-looking and more antique-looking map styles.

The next image has a lot of new labels - almost all of the places named in the original sketches now appear on the digital map, and I created many new names as well. Creating all of this detail for the map has also helped me think of new cultures and societal details.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7-tornalia.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	17721   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8-tornalia.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	17722