Thread: Planetary night view [WIP]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking good.

A couple of other 'brightness' issues, if I might suggest?

Maybe the starfield is still overbright and distracts the eye from the planet, the stars should fade near the planet, and there would be no stars at all showing through the atmospheric glow.

The circular atmosphere glow is a bit too bright. I think it was better in the first image.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Guild Adept

I tried my hand at this a while back (using Gimp). I used a Sparks brush with the paintbrush tool at a relatively low opacity to paint in the city lights. I can't actually find the original picture but I'll post it if I come across it.

I like how yours is coming out kridenow. I will be watching with interest.
    Last edited by nolgroth; 10-22-2009 at 02:54 PM.

Guild Novice

Well, I moved to another office and went from Photoshop CS3 to an older version.
    And the .psd file doesn't open correctly (all layers are fused into one).

So I guess the work on this will have to wait until I find a way to get back all my layers
    (as well as the world map of the planet Andoria from Star Trek I just started to work on...)

I was considering darkening a bit more the shadowy region and lessen the stars brightness (and remove the brightest, large, one at the bottom).

Pierre

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Save each layer as a png, or something like that which supports transparency, and then put it on a disk or email it to yourself. When you open the new layer in the older version the transparency might still be there but if not it'll probably be a solid color that you can easily delete. Also, write down if the layer has a blend mode.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

That probably woul d be what I should do... however.... accessing my former office place is a tad... difficult

So I guess this work is lost anyway, unfortunately.
    And time to restart my map of Andoria (I'll post early work soon I hope)

Pierre

Very nice, but you should add some lights further inland.