Thread: mearrin69's art thread...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

In Intruder Alert, I'd definately hike up the contrast at the edges where the wall meets the floor, and just overall, more extreme color and lighting differences. It seems a bit too bright for a nighttime picture to me.

I'd also have a grappling hook and no figures, but that's just what I imagine.

Consider hunting for reference stock on places like DeviantArt--there's accounts dedicated to stock all over the place there. You might be able to find some good ninjas. Photo references are always good though--I have a massive collection of stock. A good trick for quick detail in things like the wall is to download textures and apply these to your brushes in Photoshop--open up the brush window and there's a spot for 'textures'... I have a few brick wall textures that I use from CGTextures, and well, a whole lot of other textures too--ranging from wallpaper textures to rocks, rust, and clouds and water. It's a good, fast way to put down detail to paint over, and I can see it coming in handy in your digital landscaping.

I'd consider myself a digital artist so I'm always happy to lend advice. ^_^

the buildings look good from the thumbnails... i have trouble with buildings... mostly i just draw faces... so i am challenged by doing much more... even though i paint whole scenes and such, as you can see on my website...

but in most of my paintings i keep it pretty simple...

it looks like you have a good sense of shape and composition... so it is just a process of refining your details i guess...

and for that? practice is likely the best solution...

phil

@tiana: Thanks for the feedback. Just what I need. I jumped into playing with color on that one before the values were even close enough to defined. I do have some refs and I've been working with a couple of figure-drawing texts I had laying around but (obviously) never practised rigorously.

@philipstephen: Thanks. Practice is definitely in order. BTW, looked at your site. Very cool stuff. I like the bright colors and whimsicality (is that even a word? I like to make up words). Nice pics.

Been mainly working on maps again lately but here's a somewhat complete render of Haibianr's copper piece. I just used my sketch as a guide but cleaned it up with some circles skewed into perspective then painted with various shades of copperish color until I got it looking sort of right. Then I duplicated the layer and messed with filters and blending modes to get it to pop and look a little more metallic. This one has an emboss filter applied and (maybe) color burn blending at 50% over my original painting. Could be improved but it's probably close enough for gov'mint work.
    M
    Attached Images Attached Images