Quote Originally Posted by Notsonoble View Post
I can see this... and the zones of low vs high haven't had huge amounts of thought yet... so moving them isn't anything end of the world like (that lake really should be in the "low zone" anyway...

Doraxia has a pop a little over 11 million based on a fantasy demographics article, and 5 cities over 100K people... I've been trying to figure out where to put a lot of them... this helps.

Is diverting the only option? I've always kinda felt that the few I have on there are not really enough, but I'm having a hard time finding sources for them...
RE: City populations
To get a feel for what everything should look/feel like... your big Harbour City would be Paris or Hamburg in the 1400s. (Unless you're going to add all sorts of magical constructions and sanitation)

RE: Diverting
To support the kinds of population you're talking about, there will need to be a pile of water sources. Most of the "local water sources" will be local creeks and streams that flow into your major river, but the river needs to drain and ANY river will head to the bottom of a valley and head to the sea. (unless you're in Australia where a bunch of them just drain into the Great Artesian Basin underground). So assuming a "European" climate, your "river visible at the scale of a nation" will head into the bottom of the nearby valley and stay basically at the bottom.