Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My first world map

Quote Originally Posted by smyrin View Post
    ...and I will buy you a beer when its all done!
    I really appreciate your offer!

On the other hand, considering I live approximately 6000 miles away from you...
    Let's just say if I really manage to put this together and you really like it, just donate the cost of the beer to the Guild. Deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Tear View Post
    Here is a political version of the map:
    I really like this version

I would also be interested in a tutorial! This is great!

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tear View Post
    I really appreciate your offer!

On the other hand, considering I live approximately 6000 miles away from you...
    Let's just say if I really manage to put this together and you really like it, just donate the cost of the beer to the Guild. Deal?

Sure thing but I could mail it...

You would really mail the beer?
    Oh, come on, donating will be much more efficient for everyone. Shipping cost alone would be more expensive than the bottle itself.

This is my first tutorial, and I suck at writing, but you got me going.
    I finished the first 3 pages today.

Guild Member

If your tutorial can turn me into an artist even remotely as talented as you, not only will I mail the beer but I will also donate to the site! Anyways, you haven't tasted Southern Cailfornian mircro brews like Stone, Russian River, Green Flash, and Port Brewing. They are some of the best beers ever! It would be a shame to go through life without having sampled them. Cheers!

Guild Apprentice

Post Amazing

Tear,

The maps you created here are amazing.

The style is exactly what I want to create for a world map that I am trying to create for a novel that I'm working on.

I love both your topographical and political styles, and I would absolutely love to learn how to create those myself (as I am unable to pay someone to create maps for me =()

I use GIMP, do you think that maps like the one you created could be created in GIMP?

Also, say I actually manage to create a map like that (heh heh...) how difficult would it be to take one of the individual kingdoms, or even a region within a kingdom and blow it up so that I could create more detail as I develop the details of my world?

Eventually, I want to have a complete atlas with maps of the entire world (as you have created here), single countries (blown up for added detail and with other countries grayed out), single regions (same as above, but for individual regions within countries), and then even some of the larger cities.

This is a huge project, but the first step, and the one that seems vital to being able to fully write my novel, is getting a world map. The other stuff can come later if it is going to take tons and tons of man hours.

Again, I absolutely love the work you have done here, particularly the color scheme used and your expert use of nav lines.

I can't wait for the tutorial, and hopefully I will be able to recreate the same kind of thing in GIMP.

Thank you for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by FAHall View Post
    I use GIMP, do you think that maps like the one you created could be created in GIMP?
    Yes, I do.
    I don't use Gimp myself so I can't give you any directions, but there are quite a lot of Gimp users on this forum. I'm sure they can answer any questions you might have.

how difficult would it be to take one of the individual kingdoms, or even a region within a kingdom and blow it up so that I could create more detail as I develop the details of my world?
    Since both Gimp and Photoshop are raster-based, blowing up a single region would get you some blurry guidelines that could be used as an equivalent to a rough sketch at best. You'd need to make a new map, basically.
    I posted a map of the northeastern island "Durra" here, for example.

I can't wait for the tutorial, and hopefully I will be able to recreate the same kind of thing in GIMP.
    I'll be away for a trip to the desert in December, so it will take some time, but I am determined to get it done eventually.

Good luck with your project.

Guild Apprentice

Thanks for the quick response Tear.

Have fun in the desert!

Guild Apprentice

Hey Tear,

I know you're busy and getting ready for a trip, but would it be possible to get the textures and colors (color palette or something) that you use?

I'm colorblind, so I have a hell of a time trying to match or create colors on my own (even with the eye-dropper tool). Maybe, if GIMP and PS can't share a color palette, a list of the HTML codes for the colors and what you use them for?

Also, how do you get the water along your coastlines to have that "foamy" look. Sorry I don't have a better term for it.

Oh, and in your tutorial, I would love to see your method for converting the physical map to a political one.

I know I'm asking alot of you, and I totally understand if you don't have the time to answer my questions.

Thanks a bunch,
    Alex

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast