Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Saderan – a tutorial

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Applicant

I saw this on Reddit and had to come look at the other things here. This is an awesome tutorial. Thank you.

Default So happy to find this tutorial

I found a fantasy world map on DeviantArt that I loved and wanted to create similar maps. It was of course based on this tutorial, so I just went through and created a world of my own:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test 2.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	89676

The only difficulty I had was with the rivers (getting them to stroke nicely was quite fiddly). And the Bevel & Emboss settings. The ones from the tutorial seem quite aggressive?

Anyway - what do you think?

Praise Absolutely Awesome!

This I absolutely awesome! I am astonished at finding this tutorial because I wanted you to make one and I even have your map set as my desktop as a perfect example of well crafted world map. To find this tutorial and see that care was taken with it, all I can say is thanks!

Thank you for all your comments. I really hope this tutorial is a contribution that will help some folks.
    It's my first one though, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.
    I'll be away for a few weeks, but if I don't answer by Christmas, you can be pretty sure my plane crashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Looking forward to figuring out how to get this one working in GIMP
    I don't know much about Gimp, but from what I've read, the use of Layer Styles is a major difference. I used those extensively, so I hope you'll find a workaround.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    So i tested it out.
    Thanks for giving it a try. To me it looks like you skipped some instructions, but I probably didn't explain them well enough.
    Maybe it's because I was using a mouse. Opacity settings are a different matter using a tablet, at least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CartoGeo View Post
    I am astonished at finding this tutorial because I wanted you to make one [...]
    Yes. You wanted me to make one. So if it's bad it's all your fault. :p
    Just kidding. Thanks for pushing me.
    Last edited by Tear; 11-26-2009 at 06:23 PM.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Tear View Post

I don't know much about Gimp, but from what I've read, the use of Layer Styles is a major difference. I used those extensively, so I hope you'll find a workaround.
    This site has a link to a plug-in for GIMP layer styles:

http://laptoplogic.com/resources/con...dobe-photoshop

Trying this out as a total newb with PS CS2 ... and i hit a first snag. I am on page 7, so far all went well...but now i have the base color layer and it is in front of everything...i have only a brown square before me. What happened?

I do not have, with PS CS2, the option Layer>group with previous ... instead it is only Layer>group layers ... is that a problem? From the picture it seems right as it is one step over the land layer a bit to the right... so the hierarchy seems right.

Any ideas what i did wrong?

Thanks in advance.

E.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Novice

I really appreciate this tutorial. It helped me a ton, I was actually able to make something that looked halfway decent. Thanks a ton man!

Post it.

If I'll ever do a tutorial again, I really want to know what worked and what didn't.
    Last edited by Tear; 11-26-2009 at 06:43 PM.

Guild Novice

It's in my thread in Regional And World Mapping. I'd love to get some feedback from you.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast