Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Saderan – a tutorial

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I had to have a go at this...here's my result (different textures used).

I couldn't quite get the same definition on the ocean floor though.

Thanks Tear, really good tutorial.

My quick comments: I used a brush that has lots of bits sticking out of it and set it to a reasonable scatter when painting the mountains.
    Using the 'ocean ripple filter' on mountains also helps to break them up a bit and make foothills.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tear tut.jpg 
Views:	555 
Size:	269.7 KB 
ID:	20391  

I have only limited experience with Photoshop, and very little experience with making maps, but here is my attempt. I followed the tutorial almost completely to the letter.

Name:	Saderan_Tutorial.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	329.7 KB 
ID:	20396  
    Last edited by Grimmr; 01-17-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Oh yeah...

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

My turn to give it a try ...

Well, I have no other words than fantastic tutorial man. Awesome step by step tuto, from a very skilled person. I'm very impressed. I know it is hard to write down that kind of high level tuto but you've done it, and you made people very happy, me first! It seems that you gave us the tuto we all hoped for a long time and I can't thank you enough for this. Again, thank you and congratulations.

Here is my feedback for those who are not sure wether it is a good tuto or not
    The tutorial is very well made, and everything is clear enough to not be lost in the process. Only 2 little typos are present but if you read carrefully, you should figure it out fairly easily. It is just a matter of color info on page 10, nothing important really.
    What makes this tuto very good is that allows you to adjust anything and everything, but still gives you the key to get a good job. I've change quite some values for layer's transparency, patterns and that kind of stuff, because I liked them more. Just a matter of personal taste.

Here is what I've done, in about 4 hours with a tablet. I really like the result and I'm already on something bigger
    Hope it helps

Thanks again Tear, you've made an awesome tuto!

Name:	test-map.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	21994  

Love this tutorial!!! Starting on my second map using it tonight. Quick question though.....On page 3 you resize the image. Is this just a personal preference or is there a reason (other than file size) to resize it?

It smoothes the coast outlines generated by the threshold layer. You can skip the resizing, but your coastlines will be more pixellated.
    If you want a bigger map, say, 1000 pixels wide, just start with 2000 pixels to make sure your outlines will be nice and smooth in the end.

That makes sense. Thanks Tear

What are the GIMP commands for the following:

Create Clipping Mask/Group with Previous

I know they are the same thing in PS depending on which version your using. I looked at the online gimp doc but have no idea how to do a search.

Edit:

When applying a mask in PS you have the choice of Reveal All/Hide All or Reveal Selection/Hide Selection.

How is this implemented in GIMP? Or does it matter.

TIA
    Last edited by redleg7; 01-21-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by redleg7 View Post
    What are the GIMP commands for the following:

Create Clipping Mask/Group with Previous

I know they are the same thing in PS depending on which version your using. I looked at the online gimp doc but have no idea how to do a search.

Edit:

When applying a mask in PS you have the choice of Reveal All/Hide All or Reveal Selection/Hide Selection.

How is this implemented in GIMP? Or does it matter.

TIA
    This is the biggest limitation of GIMP. It is unable to "Group with Previous". There are some hopes that GIMP 3.0 will have these capabilities, but for now, you're SOL.

Guild Apprentice

I finally got my hands on PS CS3, which is really exciting.

I've got a quick question now. I'm on the "Elevation Base" portion of the tutorial, and I cannot seem to get my elevations to look as natural, smooth, and high as yours do. Mine keep either looking funky and low (smaller brush with lower opacity) or getting too big and then flattening out (big brush with higher opacity). For some reason I cannot find a happy medium to make them look as nice as the elevation bases that you have in the tut image.

I tried running the clouds and difference clouds filters to see what those came up with, but they just looked weird. I can't seem to get natural looking elevations.

Any suggestions?

Most of the time I use low-opacity brushes, but I paint over the same spot several times to slowly build up the shape. It takes a bit longer, but this way I have better control over the outcome.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast