Thread: The mountains... always the mountains.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice

Hey, waldronate! Thanks for the tips. I've been checking the links and studying formation of various mountain ranges in the world. Mostly "young" mountains, such as those in the Death Valley.

I decided to try my hand in recreating this kind of formation in a height map. This is what I got so far (attached). Could you guys give me your comments on those? The picture holds three different attempts at techniques to recreate those, with the last being the one to the right.

I know it still has a lot of room to improve, specially since it's not as strong as the reference mountains (below), but I'm considering trying to develop this technique for more "realistic looking" mountain ranges in maps. Do you guys know of anyone playing with this kind of thing, perhaps it has even already been done or something

Other than improving the height maps, I'm not sure how I'd go on texturing that. I have no idea on how to make a mountain look like a mountain .

So far, the idea was to replicate some of what can be seen here:
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&...8,3.515625&z=9 ... the "caterpillar-like" mountains to the east of the valley.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mt-tests.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	19114