Thread: One more time...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Glancing over this, it looks pretty much right to me. I see a couple minor things on the northern bound of your red band, but they're not really bad enough to mention unless you're really hardcore about realism, which you've established you aren't. Overall, it looks good to me.

If you just want a general idea where the various biomes would probably be, then I'd just drop some quick mountains so you know where they are, do a rough idea of the preciptation (that's the dark green-tan scale on most of the linked maps, if we didn't label them clearly; I forget) and then you'll be able to figure out biomes based on the temperature and dryness of each place.

Love to see more!

-asp
    Last edited by altasilvapuer; 01-04-2010 at 09:33 AM.
    My current worldbuilding experiment(s):
    Geidor
    --------------------------------------------

But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
    -W.B. Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by altasilvapuer View Post
    Glancing over this, it looks pretty much right to me. I see a couple minor things on the northern bound of your red band, but they're not really bad enough to mention unless you're really hardcore about realism, which you've established you aren't. Overall, it looks good to me.

If you just want a general idea where the various biomes would probably be, then I'd just drop some quick mountains so you know where they are, do a rough idea of the preciptation (that's the dark green-tan scale on most of the linked maps, if we didn't label them clearly; I forget) and then you'll be able to figure out biomes based on the temperature and dryness of each place.

Love to see more!

-asp
    Alright - thanks for that. Needed confirmation that I did in fact do it correctly (you did see the edit update, right?)

That's a good idea, will prevent a lot of clutter and random placements later on. Definitely the next step.

Alright, so I've made a rainfall/precipitation (whatever it is) map for the two largest continents, I don't want to continue until I know I'm doing it right, because it's very time consuming.

So basically darkest green is highest, tan is lowest. So if I've understood this correctly; forests (re jungles) tend to spring up where precipitation is the highest. So I've taken to that to mean that the two next levels (the two next lighter shades of green) is where grasslands/plains tend to be. Deserts are, of course, where the tannest areas are (that + the arctic parts of the continents), and very dry places are the level above that. Tell me if this is all wrong .

Some VERY rough mountain sketches are there too. The actual mountains will no doubt be less "straight" and there are of course more smaller mountain ranges.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landmasses copy.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	19988  
    Last edited by Majortopio; 01-04-2010 at 01:54 PM.

Praise

i am very impressed with the thought and detail you are giving this map... my scientific knowledge is not enough to be helpful on feedback... but it looks brilliant to me.

phil

Quote Originally Posted by philipstephen View Post
    i am very impressed with the thought and detail you are giving this map... my scientific knowledge is not enough to be helpful on feedback... but it looks brilliant to me.

phil
    Thanks! Really appreciate those comments

A few slight updates to the precipitation map, namely some more arid areas and very wet areas added on the eastern continent, to fit more with what I had in mind AND to create a more realistic feel, at least in my opinion. Also touched a few things up here and there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prec copy.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	19993