Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How does one create his own generator.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If you want to write one from scratch, search the internet for "random markov chain" and possibly your desired implementation language. The typical generator will take a list of example text and generate results in the same style. It's a common example in many programming textbooks. Well, C++ textbooks, anyhow.

I'm working on a name generator in MS Excel. It simply combines syllables randomly from lists and presents the result (like Ar-go-dyn etc). It's not ready for release yet though...

The generator makes up fantasy male and female names, village/town names, lovecraft demon-names, monster names etc
    Last edited by Carnifex; 02-10-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I had thought about that sort of syllable thingy but I don't know any programming stuff so I'll be waiting for your program. Oh, also what sort of dictionary are you using for your syllables? I was wondering if it might be a good idea to use some other things like German, Russian, French, Polynesian, etc to get some other oddball syllable combos.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

lolz. I think I'll just stick to making names myself. Santer Glossin

Here's my Markovian random name generator: http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isomage/names/

I've just made the source code available there in case you guys might find it useful.
    Last edited by isomage; 02-16-2010 at 04:30 AM.
    My random map generators and GIMP scripts: http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isomage/

Blog Entries

Very cool and it works real well. What it needs is a set of fantasy names from books, historical, biblical and other sources as a guide for it for it to key on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12