Thread: Another Wilbur Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What would this look like from an overhead perspective? The side shots look an awful lot like the sort of step that happens by clipping inside or outside a mask. When I tried to use that expression on a surface, I got everything above 128 showing as Not a Number (-1#IND) and everything below 128 as the original value.

I'm still unclear what you're really trying to get here. One way to make a crater with an arbitrary rim is to:

Draw a selection to represent the rim shape. I used a squarish one so that it would look vaguely like the one in Arizona.
    Fill that selection with a mound (Filter>>Fill>>Mound) where the Maximum is less than the minimum. I used 10 for minimum and 0 for maximum.
    Apply an exponent to make the crater more bowl-shaped. Filter>>Mathematical>>Exponent with the exponent set to 4 will work.
    Invert the selection to work on the outside (Select>>Inverse)
    Fill with a mound (Filter>>Fill>>Mound) where the Maximum is less than the minimum. The minimum should be the same as the original fill. I used 10 for minimum and 5 for maximum.
    A small exponent here might work as well. Filter>>Mathematical>>Exponent with the exponent set to 1.5 is a good starting point.
    Deselect (Select>>Deselect).
    Apply an overall bit of noise to make things rougher. Filter>>Noise>>Fractal Noise with an amplitude of 3 and Operation of Add.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1..jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	23072