Thread: Ordnance Survey releases map data free

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

I know this is a bit of a thread resurrection but I had a link from some place saying that they got some data from ordnance survey opendata pages. Well I just been on there....

OS OpenData products | Business and government | Ordnance Survey

...and its most definitely live now. I think it might have been for some time but I can say this. I have downloaded the whole UK 50m DEM in ascii so the data is open and available now. I am going to spend an hour or two writing the decoder for it and will post a pic or two later on.

But WOW even after the download zip came through I still didn't think it really was the right data but it definitely is the whole UK at 50m spacing. Though you need to abide by the license, that license is quite open including commercial use. Its a lot like CC with share alike and attribution. Amazing work by the OS team to release this.

Edit: Oh yeah I recall where I saw it - you can get the whole UK on minecraft now. I thought for a while they might have had some kind of private deal with them to use the data so was pretty astounded when I realized it was open to all.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 09-24-2013 at 08:51 AM.