Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Land of Arvorn

You're welcome!

I love these islands! The coastlines make me happy. xP As does the colour for the desert(? or savannah?). And that volcano does look better to me. Can't help with the mountains or rivers, I'm afraid.

Guild Journeyer

The rendering style of mountains, forest, jungles etc. is quite nice.

I don't know how much you are interested in the realistic climate, but the placement of your deserts looks arbitrary.

You are right that deserts often occur on one side of mountains, but it's more specific than that... they occur when the mountains block the prevailing wind, causing it to dump on the rain on one side leaving now moisture in the clouds to rain on the other side-- until the winds have a chance to pass over the ocean, or large lakes/seas and pick up moisture from evaporation.

So there it is if you care about those details.

Thanks you guys for the feed back, And Jwbjerk as I was looking to fix/add too the map, I zoomed way out (kind of like the clipped image in the forums) and realized exactly what your saying, but had no idea how to go about adjusting it, and with what your saying really helps in the thought process, cause I was leaning toward adding in "wind direction" and High and low pressure areas or something to that effect, so I'll see what I can cook up. I may also do a tutorial for all this, cause its fairly simple! But thanks!

Also if its not too much to ask, which specifically would be not typical deserts? and maybe even areas where there should be deserts? If anything a quick reference would be great!
    Last edited by Yandor; 04-10-2010 at 02:53 PM.
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Yandor View Post
    Thanks you guys for the feed back, And Jwbjerk as I was looking to fix/add too the map, I zoomed way out (kind of like the clipped image in the forums) and realized exactly what your saying, but had no idea how to go about adjusting it, and with what your saying really helps in the thought process, cause I was leaning toward adding in "wind direction" and High and low pressure areas or something to that effect, so I'll see what I can cook up. I may also do a tutorial for all this, cause its fairly simple! But thanks!
    I don't know if there are better tutorials on this site (if they are here they don't have the word "climate" in the title), but this is the most useful thing i've ever found for working out climates, temperature, wind, rain etc. It may be more detail than you want, but there it is for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandor View Post
    Also if its not too much to ask, which specifically would be not typical deserts? and maybe even areas where there should be deserts? If anything a quick reference would be great!
    It's kind of tricky since i don't know where your wind is supposed to be coming from, but for instance the two deserts on the far right, I can't conceive of a prevailing wind that would miss only those two spots, while watering the surrounding green, and the triangle area surrounded by mountains.

Well finished it off, jwbjerk Thanks for all the input, I'm going to use that climate book for my next one... wasn't in the mood to redraw it all =D but thanks!

Anyways heres the link to the final picture!

Final Version
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12