Thread: Neweastland

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mimi

Map Neweastland

In absence of a proper introduction in the appropriate place I thought it would be more meaningful to break the ice by posting a map.

This is a map of a region called Neweastland, it's a for a fantasy setting with a colonial theme and is my first substantial attempt at creating a terran campaign map. It was made with the goal of beng, clear, bright, easily readable and a tad cartoonish. I think it does that pretty well. My main quandary is the geography, whilst I wasn't trying to make anything that was particularly accurate or realistic I think I let myself down on the quantity and length of rivers.

The map was made almost entierly in GIMP, I drew the basic geography by hand, added mountains by a process that ammounts to Lasso tool, solid noise, border selection, gaussian blur, cranking up the contrast, 00000 to alpha, emboss, then I painted the terrain with the airbrush tool, added some patterns to certain areas to give definition to the terrain, splashed some forests on then jammed a pile of icons on top. This version is indexed to 256 colours to make it smaller.

The text was a freaking pain, I accidently deleted entire sets of names about 3 times and had to redo the manually. For my first real try I'm pretty pleased with it.

What do you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images