Thread: How To Make a Rotating Brush in GIMP

Tutorial How To Make a Rotating Brush in GIMP

In this thread I showed a brush I made for GIMP that would rotate as you painted, god for stroking paths to lay down buildings.

I have finally put together a script-fu that simplifies this process. I have tested it in GIMP 2.4, but not 2.2

First download the attached ZIP and put the setup-brush.scm file into your GIMP script directory. This should be C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\.gimp-2.4\scripts

Follow the following steps:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m9_marked.jpg 
Views:	1215 
Size:	281.8 KB 
ID:	24174

Next Post shows how to make an alternating brush...

-Rob A>
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by RobA; 04-27-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: The typo was bothering me.

You can also have two (or more) images alternate.

Just make your source a multiple of a square, like 50x100 (for two) or 50x150 (for three). Each source image must be in a square, and only the image contained within the largest circle that fits that square will get rotated...

Note that the cell size is that of each square, the number of cells is the total (2 x 12 rotations), and it has two dimensions. The first dimension has 2 cells and increments (these come from the columns). The second dimension has 12 cells and is angular (this is the rotated row of images).

Refresh brushes and draw with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m10_marked.jpg 
Views:	695 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	24175

(I toggled on "Use Color from Gradient" with a rainbow gradient selected in the paint tool dialog in the lower half.)
    -Rob A>
    Last edited by RobA; 04-27-2010 at 02:42 PM.

Very cool! Thanks!

PS: What are trying to do to us PS users with cool GIMP features liek this, make us jump ship? I need to see if I can do this in PS...
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Actually that would be "The" Gimp. Hopefully Rob doesn't own a leather hood...

Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Ouch. That hurts (figuratively)

-Rob A>

I think we are approaching TMI.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quick question...is there a way to use this script and/or technique to create an animated brush in Gimp that, instead of rotating the shapes, will just alternate between different sizes? For instance, I want to create a brush shaped like a tree trunk, that will alternate between different sizes and shapes. I'm not sure if I follow the steps for the rotating brush that it will turn out the way I want it to.

wisemoon
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

Quote Originally Posted by wisemoon View Post
    Quick question...is there a way to use this script and/or technique to create an animated brush in Gimp that, instead of rotating the shapes, will just alternate between different sizes? For instance, I want to create a brush shaped like a tree trunk, that will alternate between different sizes and shapes. I'm not sure if I follow the steps for the rotating brush that it will turn out the way I want it to.

wisemoon
    That is even simpler, just create a brush with multiple layers and put a tree on each layer, then save it as a gih file, but specify only one dimention and make it "random"

-Rob A>