Thread: GIMP Gradient Script

Info GIMP Gradient Script

A while back I wanted to create some hypsometric gradients in GIMP. There a quite a few out there (usually as jpegs) and being a lazy guy I wrote a script rather than messing about with the gradient editor (attached).

The script gets loaded into the gradient menu (accessible in the gradient palette, click the < arrow in the right hand corner). Chose the image and layer (drawable), dial the segments in the gradient, and select if you want the segments to be blended or stepped.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2008-06-04_130903.png 
Views:	341 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	4129

The program will sample the entire source vertically, and horizontally depending on the segments selected.

Here is a source image I ran the script on:

Name:	hypso_humid_boost.png 
Views:	316 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	4130

and here is the resultant gradient that was created, opened in the gradient editor:

Name:	2008-06-04_131245.png 
Views:	255 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	4131

And a resultant fill with that gradient:

Name:	gradient.png 
Views:	314 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	4132

Unchecking "smooth" will make the gradient colour steps. I have limited it to 256 steps, but you could change she script to more quite easily (the limit for GIMP gradients is 1024).

-Rob A>
    Attached Files Attached Files

Many more people have contributed many more scripts than I ever will. Though I was flattered that my inkscape z-order extension is making it into the next formal release

-Rob A>

So would I use this to create a snow capped mountain gradient, or is there an easier way to do that?

I really designed the script to take image gradients (of which there are many) and get a Gimp gradient I could use with the gradient tool. I could, however, work just as well with manually created images to fabricate a gradient from scratch without messing about with the gradient editor (though the editor is much more powerful in terms of setting the gradient segments, steps, and curves)

-Rob A>

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

OLD thread, but...

So does this mean I can sample a gradient from a map I like, ranging from low to high, and then project this onto an arbitrary heightmap in my image?

Quote Originally Posted by CAgrippa View Post
    OLD thread, but...

So does this mean I can sample a gradient from a map I like, ranging from low to high, and then project this onto an arbitrary heightmap in my image?
    Slow answer, but....

Yes!

-Rob A>