Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 41 - The Old Cartographers' Guild Hall and Administrative Quarter [Robbie]

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip 41 - The Old Cartographers' Guild Hall and Administrative Quarter [Robbie]

At first I wanted to do a River Police headquarters or something similar, but I decided to instead map something a little more fitting to my actual role on the site. Due to some delays with a new computer and the software install process, I don't quite have a WIP yet, but I still wanted to go ahead and stake my claim with a thread.

I plan on editing this first post quite a bit once I have a first WIP, but for now I just wanted to let everyone know what I was thinking so the planning around me can make sense.

I'll be doing the old guild hall which is the 3d compass rose building I modeled for a challenge last year. I'll also be putting in so me administrative related things. I don't have a keyboard on this tablet so I'll make this thread more coherent soon and add my first WIP.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Section 41 draft.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	4.48 MB 
ID:	91289

Neighbors:
    21 - Monastery of Realisminites and its vicinities [Pixie]
    39 - Engineering & Power District [Snodsy]
    40 - Dreamscape Tower and Market District [DarkInfinity]
    49 - The Botanical Gardens [zhar2]
    Last edited by Robbie; 01-23-2017 at 09:42 PM.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

This is a great plan Robbie! I already thought about this nice model you made for the challenge, but wasn't sure if it was placed in the City of Azuredawn or "The Guild City" Looking forward to see the first wip!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Welcome on board, Robbie

Sounds like a great idea.

I'll link your thread to the Index.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So I've run into a snag...the lavish grounds of the old guild hall are indeed lavish and large...The original image in my challenge entry was about 1520' diameter. i can scale that down without much effort to about 1200' diameter. This poses a small problem for me as there isn't a section large enough to accommodate.

J.Edward mentioned he could partition another section between 22 and 42 that would accommodate me, but I don't want to be too much of a burden or a special case if thats not in the spirit of the project. So I'll place it in your hands folks...anyone opposed to me moving to a new space between 22 and 42 (south of 21 and 39)? I promise I'll try and make it worth your while!
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Hmm... that is a bit of a problem isn't it.

I can't speak for anyone else - particularly not for John, but I wouldn't have any objection

EDIT: Could I venture an alternative? Maybe, since its so big, we could merge two of the existing areas so that you could be more 'in town'? Just an idea - and up to John and all the other city builders

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

I've got no objections. I think it would be a fantastic thing to see actually!

I am also in favor of fusing empty districts if it fits more with the rest of the city than having it in the outskirts.

I'm in favour. What will happen to 42 though?

And will you be including a portal to /dev/null in your Administrative Quarter?

No problem at all with it. I think our central building should have enough room to breathe!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

So here are 3 options. There isn't a lot that can be done other than altering and adding new territory - 1200 feet in this city is a huge plot of land.
    Only 1 section had that much space and zhar2 already has it.
    As you can see, it would take 3 sections altered to make that area inside the city as it is [option1].

Then the other 2 are options to increase the size of an existent section to include such a large plot.
    I sort of favor option 3, as it seems least invasive and offers a central location.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guildcity ACTIVE 02a - Guildhall01.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	4.74 MB 
ID:	91262

But, I can do any of the three.
    Before anyone asks, I did try to fit it in the 33-34 area and it was going up the mountain sides.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast