Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Old Watch Inn (Tavernier's style)

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Map The Old Watch Inn (Tavernier's style)

Hello !

As I liked to follow the tutorial of Guillaume Tavernier, I tried to continue in this technique, by recovering a sketchup project of a map already presented here.

I find the choice of colors always interesting. It really catches the eye. I also liked the treatment of light and shadows: it is very strong, even more with this project which is in backlight ..

I still do not know if this technique can be useful to draw a map, but it's very nice illustrations to draw! Feel free to comment and criticize!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auberge Guet Tavernier.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	112601

Awesome piece Jo! Fantastic adaptation of the tutorial with your very own touch to it. It's a really nice addition to the perspectives of the original map. Keep up the great work!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Cool...it's very autumn in coloration and you don't even have trees.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

It's pretty good, especially the perspective and lightning. The rocks are amazing, they really stand out.

Great result. I'm tempted to try something following that tutorial too. Probably something a little smaller though.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Awesome piece Jo! Fantastic adaptation of the tutorial with your very own touch to it. It's a really nice addition to the perspectives of the original map. Keep up the great work!
    Thanks a lot ! Since I had made the sketchup model, it was quite easy to have the basic layout.. I'm glad you like it !

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Cool...it's very autumn in coloration and you don't even have trees.
    Thanks ! It's quite funny... I think it comes from the angle of the light I choose in sketchup. Looking back to it now, I would choose a different angle, in order to be less in "backlight" (?), to have more surfaces facing the sun. And maybe I would choose a different time of the day to have less long shadows (though the long shadows helps to catch the slope, isn't it ?). I kept the Guillaume Tavernier palette of colors, and it looks like an autumn evening... strange, I didn't mean to and if I would have, I wouldn't have the slightest idea to achieve that... It's fun when you get surprised by your own drawings !?!

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    It's pretty good, especially the perspective and lightning. The rocks are amazing, they really stand out.
    Thanks a lot Azélor ! I'm glad you like it ! For perspective and shadows, I relied on Sketchup (which is a huge help for me). And thanks for the rocks, I wasn't sure they would fit with the rest of the drawing. I think I could ameliorate the junction between rocks and grass, but I haven't found how...

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Great result. I'm tempted to try something following that tutorial too. Probably something a little smaller though.
    Thanks Larb ! By all means, try this tutorial, I'm sure you'll like it : it's well explained and you'll get surprised by the result... and it's not so long too ! Guillaume Tavernier works fast and efficiently ! I'm looking forward to see what you'll achieve !

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    Another great result! Splendid work

Cheers,
    Karl
    Thanks a lot Karl ! I'm glad you liked this piece !

You are on fire!
    Bring us more !

Well done.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Great again Jo, Autumn is coming!

It's looking great ! And the style... you nailed it !
    My only (minor) nitpick would be the blank white background.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast