Thread: Warning! Will Robinson! Warning!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by heathan666 View Post
    ya I saw it, now I got like a gang load of textures/tiles and stuff I want to use, what's the quickest way to convert???? I know you said you could create a script but this is like alot of textures....
    I'll tell you - here is how I use my textures (all png files). I don't import them all, cause gimp has no decent way to group them into folders, etc. There is a python brush manager I use and I have been tempted to extend it to also be a pattern manager, but find the following workflow is more convenient for me...

I have gimp open, and I'm working on a drawing. I also keep faststone image viewer running, sitting in my textures root directory. All my textures are ordered in a directory like this:

-BASIC (contains textures I use often)
    -MANMADE
    --BRICK
    --MARBLE
    --METAL
    --SEWER
    --STONE
    --TILES
    --WOOD
    -NATURAL
    --DIRT
    --GRASS
    --STONE
    --VEGETATION
    --COVER
    --WATER
    --WINTER
    -TERRAIN (larger scale, the others are all battlemap scale)
    -PHOTOREALISTIC (photos I have taken/rendered that usually aren't seamless tiles yet)

I just copy (ctrl-C) from the faststone image browser (preview window, not the thumbnail list!) and then go into gimp and paste (ctrl-v) then cut (ctrl-x). This leave me with the pattern in the gimp clipboard and I can just use it as a fill.

If I want it as a pattern for a while, after this I just Edit->Paste as->New Pattern.

-Rob A>