Thread: Make Rough Walls in Photoshop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Here's the results from some more testing. I think they all have merit. The "displace" ones use a displacement map, the names being the name of the file that is the map I'm using. The numbers refer to the scaling I used (both X and Y). The fourth one uses the crystallize method Ascension showed. For reference, the grid is equal to 50 pixels per 5ft. I think the two using the "displace2-softer" map work well for mines or other roughly hewn walls. The "displace3" map produces a more jagged edge, maybe an ominous underdark lair. While I think Ascension's crystallize method produces a very nice natural cave wall. And with Photoshop actions, these can all easily be applied at the touch of a button. Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool... I have even done a bit of this to "tile" floors to make the grout/grid look less uniform. I rather like the effect quite a bit.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.