Thread: Map Of Ceres, 16th Millennium

Question Map Of Ceres, 16th Millennium

This is part of a scifi serial I'm doing called "Dark Vision" about an ex-terrorist soldier confronting her past, present, and future. Currently the serial is visiting 5 locations chosen by Cartographers Guild members, which I call the "Tour Of The Solar System." The thread started here. Ceres is the fourth of five stops. (A previous map from the serial, "Venus Public Transport," actually got chosen as a featured map here, yay me! ) I've begun a map of the solar system that I hope to finish in time for the wrap of the fifth location, which is Mars.

This map was inspired by the weird winged planet that I envisioned Ceres as having become in the CLVIIth century. I did a cover picture for chapter 31, and somehow or another for chatper 32 I could not resist mapping the whole planet, which is mostly agricultural land on the day side and a "hive of scum and villainy" on the night side.

I took a two components from Photoshop: the ag texture, stitched & tweaked from some satellite pix from Google; and the Midnight City lights, which are much more visible on the cover pic, glowing green in the night, than they are on the final map because so many city locations & roads etc. had to be layered over them. Oh, and the stars background is swiped (I think) from a Hubble shot. Oh, and the oblique nano colors, I actually rendered 3D from a grid instead of building it in vector form. Cheating, I know. But when it all looks the same after you print, who cares how you got there? Oh, the Cereal Reverence logo was done in Photoshop, with the wheat shapes brought in from Illustrator.

Otherwise, everything was done in Illustrator, with mutiple layers and quite a few applications of alpha masks and other fx. At one point, my filesize was over 1gig, but I cleaned out a few things and saved to .AI instead of .EPS and skipped previews & bitmaps etc., didn't embed placed files ... that helped, and the final filesize dropped to 250meg.

I did the work all "straight" with an angled frame; then I angled the whole graphic so the frame was straight to the paper. The final printed piece is 16.5x10.5".

There's so much going on on this planet, in my head, that I think I could spend the rest of my life telling stories on it! But I will have to be content with the 2 "Dark Vision" chapters I've done here ... at least for now ... because I must needs get myself to Mars next!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map Of Ceres (cropped 2060).jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	14483  
    Last edited by RobA; 04-11-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Brilliant work Toff!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thnx for the rep and the praises. *gush*

It works on every level! Well done indeed!

I love how different your stuff is. You really take an idea and stand it on its head sometimes
    Something witty and pithy

A good job!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

A bit late to post, but id just like to say that its a really wonderfull map.