Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack Vance's "Ports Of Call" and "Lurulu"

Map Jack Vance's "Ports Of Call" and "Lurulu"

Original thread here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack-Vance---Ports-Of-Calls-&-Lurulu---Map-2000x765.png 
Views:	1301 
Size:	3.74 MB 
ID:	15068  
    Last edited by töff; 07-23-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

If I'd read the stories in question, I imagine this would make sense.

As it is... The only thing I'm certain on is that it depicts the travels of some space-faring vessels. It's intriguing, that's for sure.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Not being a Vance fan I have not read the stories depicted. That being said, it's still some damn nice work.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

This looks REALLY complicated!!

But absolutely amazing non-the-less This is mighty fine map drawing skills.
    My first (and only) maps to date!:
    Coa'q Island
    and Pinser Shore!

I know a guy with a website all about GIMP - have a look (he hardly has any members so he needs helping out)

I think the books are very well worth reading.

Lurulu is Vance's last novel He's done an autobiography, and he's retired.

Awesome work, deserves some rep. *bonk*
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Applicant ishldgetoutmore's Avatar

Apologies for the necromancy, but I had to join to post how awesome I think this is. As a huge Vance fan, I thought Ports of Call and Lurulu wrapped up a lot of his characteristic plot elements into one contiguous but somewhat complex story, which this map does an excellent job of illustrating!

I wonder if I could encourage you to do a map of Lyonesse?

Thanks, glad you like it! POC/Lurulu was a really surprising story, wasn't it.

There is already a map of Lyonesse, of course, in the books. If it's not of good enough quality for you (which, let's be honest, it really isn't), you might refer to this one -- http://lyonesse.free.fr/lyonesse.jpg -- from Men In Cheese's Lyonesse RPG, a tome I was lucky enough to acquire on eBay.fr and whose many many maps I drool over. Sorry, I can't scan them, as I don't care to break the paperback binding. That same site has posted the Dahaut map, too.

There are tons of Vance maps on the webz, if you're patient enough to google them up. Most are from foreign sites (lots of French). Example: http://membres.multimania.fr/jackvan...dragon_map.jpg

I understand that the Vance Integral Edition (VIE) has lots of new maps never before seen. I've subscribed to the Compact edition (CVIE), but I haven't got them yet. The VIE also released a Graphics Volume that has some maps in it. All of these are quite pricey, though.

Guild Applicant ishldgetoutmore's Avatar

As regards the CVIE -- you and me both, buddy! I almost acquired the Graphics Volume, but decided to buy a house instead.

I must admit, one of my favorites is the map in the Dying Earth RPG. I think they nailed the geography (or, at least, my relatively close reading found no discrepancies) and the evocative place names set fire to the imagination. They had it available as a CC3 map at one point, but I seem to have misplaced the file -- a real crime! I don't know if you can still acquire the wall map, as they no longer have the license to produce Vance-related material.

Nicely done. Haven't read them but might take a look next time I'm book buying.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast