Thread: A Map of Ilaros

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

Not to threadjack, but I find that I always use an adjustment layer. I like being able to trash the experiement without going back to square one, or even reverting to a previous saved copy.

As for the Curves dialog it's mostly based around how the line is shaped and interacts with three points along the line, Black, White and Middle Gray. Think of it as a graph of how you want to adjust the contrast and brightness of the image.

Just want to make it brighter? Simply click the middle of the line (middle gray) and drag it higher in the "graph". This will cause a shift to make more shades the lighter side of middle gray. Similarly you can cause curves in the line to force the shades near the ends to compress, making more white or black areas, thus increasing the contrast between the two.

Then again after 3 years as a graphic designer, I still manipulate the curves dialog box in my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennZilla View Post
    Then again after 3 years as a graphic designer, I still manipulate the curves dialog box in my dreams.
    GlenZilla is bang on. Anything you can do with brightness, contrast, and gamma corrections you can do with curves.....and then a whole lot more. The curves tool is definitely a worthwhile tool to master.

-Rob A>

To improve the 'contrast' between mountains and land (and mountains and ice):

1) Decrease layer opacity to around 80%
    2) Use a blurry eraser and dab at the edges

To make your mountains less 'plastic', give it texture. Add a Layer Style->Pattern overlay (on darken), or modify your Bevel/Emboss to include Texture.

I don't like your new map - it lacks colour! Just add a little yellow/orange to the desert, some green/yellow to the trees. Make your rivers a darker colour so they don't get lost.

But the biggest tip is: Opacity, opacity, opacity. Let no overlay be absolute 100%.

I think I have finally got the mountains looking a bit for acceptable. I took aeronox's advice and added a texture to them which seemed to prevent them from going wonky when I applied the blur to them. I've also reduced the muting of the color so its still a little bright, but I think I can live with the current incarnation for a while.

I should probably attempt to finish the political map at some point as well.

Thanks again for all the comments and the like. I'll be working on numerous other maps, so I am sure more will appear for comment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new Ilaros map copy.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	844.0 KB 
ID:	2001  

Quote Originally Posted by Sular View Post
    ...from going wonky when I applied the blur to them...
    I think he meant to blur (feather) the edges, not blur the mountain layer itself.

-Rob A>