Page 20 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Quote Originally Posted by JrFan88 View Post
    After giving the tut several shots, I have come here to vent my frustration and/or cluelessness (?)......

I have followed the tutorial step-by-step, trying to make sure I haven't missed anything, and yet I run up against the same stone wall time and again. Everything goes more or less peachy until I get to the "grass" level; when I apply the gradient map, the thumbnail shows the color layer, but the main window doesn't. If I start hiding layers, the color finally shows up, but goes away again as soon as I make the other layers visible again. There must be something that I'm missing, but I cannot figger out what in billy-blue hell it is. Has anyone else had this cunundrum? Or am I hallucinating?
    Take a screenshot that shows your image and your layers dialog window and post up here. In case you don't know how:

• Make sure it's all visible on the screen and then press the Print Screen button on your keyboard (it will look like nothing happened).
    • On your image go to Edit->Paste As->New Image
    • Save the image as a .jpeg
    • On the forum in reply, find the icon on the menu that looks like a paperclip. If you don't see it, you may have to click the "Go Advanced" button.
    • This opens a popup window where you can upload an image file
    • Finish your post and submit.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ridgecrest, CA...in the beautiful Mojave Desert.

Post re: I must be doing something wrong......

OK, here it is, hope someone can help. I mean, I think alles en ordnung (my bad HS German).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	7487  

OK, here it is, hope someone can help. I mean, I think alles en ordnung (my bad HS German).
    Unfortunatly, I don't have the tutorial in front of me at the moment, but double check your layer order AND the modes RobA told you to set layers to. The way this works is that layers HIGHER are on top and thus any colors on those layers will "cover" the layers below them, in this case, your sea and seashore layers are above the grass, and thus they "cover" the grass color. There are ways to keep the layer order the same as you have here but let the higher layers "come through" either via layer modes (the slider at the top) or via a layer mask(where in the mask, what is white on the mask allows that to show through and what is black is hidden.) Carefully go back over the turorial from the creation of the land through where the displacement map is applied to make sure you have them in the right order. If nothing else, you can manually change the order of the layers by dragging and dropping in the layers dialog window.

As an aside, if you want to learn how masks work, please visit my tutorial on layer masks in GIMP, when you get some time as learning proper use of layer masks will go a long way toward making your maps better and easier to make to boot.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Praise re: I must be doing something wrong......well waddya know....

WELL DUUUHHH!!!!! That makes perfect sense, which is probably why I didn't think of it. Far too simple of a solution, so simple, a ten year-old could have figgered out ( but lacking a 10yo, it was beyond my meager brain power). Thank you, jfrazierjr, the gradient map worked perfectly after I re-ordered the layers; just like RobA intended.

Thanx for the quick response and help, and I'll be sure to take a look at the tutorial you mentioned. The mysteries of GIMP had eluded me until I started reading the tutorial posts; I ain't a pro yet, but with all the help I've gotten, I just might get there yet (God willin' and th' crick don't rise!).

WELL DUUUHHH!!!!! That makes perfect sense, which is probably why I didn't think of it. Far too simple of a solution, so simple, a ten year-old could have figgered out ( but lacking a 10yo, it was beyond my meager brain power). Thank you, jfrazierjr, the gradient map worked perfectly after I re-ordered the layers; just like RobA intended.

Thanx for the quick response and help, and I'll be sure to take a look at the tutorial you mentioned. The mysteries of GIMP had eluded me until I started reading the tutorial posts; I ain't a pro yet, but with all the help I've gotten, I just might get there yet (God willin' and th' crick don't rise!).
    I like RobA's GIMP tutorial not so much for the map you create from it, but from the huge array of GIMP techniques he exposes in the process of creating said map. While the mountains and forests are passable, I have found some techniques I like a bit more, but as I said, the main thing about this tutorial is that it is such an excellent introduction to many GIMP techniques you will use over and over again, pretty much on ever single map you will make. Also, check out the mountain video tutorial by RobA when you get some time. I have taken that as base and played with it a bit to come up with my own version which I think makes some excellent mountains. Search for the "Playing with" threads(titles start with that) to see some exampls by me and a few other people who started with this tutorial and made a few changes to come up with their own style.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Not only techniques usable in GIMP, but a lot of them are easily 'ported' over to Photoshop as well if you're willing to spend a little time on it.
    Last edited by Steel General; 11-03-2008 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Gods-awful spelling errors
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Not only techniques usable in GIMP, but a lot of them are easily 'ported' over to Photoshop as well if you're willing to spend a little time on it.

Heh... so SG, have you mastered using layer masks yet using Del and my tutorials? You know I am going to keep pushing you and Ascension until you are converted right? Of course, not that it will make your wonderful maps better, it will just allow you to create and change them faster.... FYI, I just got OpenOffice, so I hope to get some of this stuff PDF'ed up and posted in addition to the video parts of the tutorial.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Take a screenshot that shows your image and your layers dialog window and post up here. In case you don't know how:

• Make sure it's all visible on the screen and then press the Print Screen button on your keyboard (it will look like nothing happened).
    • On your image go to Edit->Paste As->New Image
    Even simpler... In Gimp 2.6, use File->Create->Screenshot, then choose either whole screen or a specific window. Then save as suggested

In 2.4, I think it was File->Acquire->Screenshot.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Heh... so SG, have you mastered using layer masks yet using Del and my tutorials? You know I am going to keep pushing you and Ascension until you are converted right? Of course, not that it will make your wonderful maps better, it will just allow you to create and change them faster.... FYI, I just got OpenOffice, so I hope to get some of this stuff PDF'ed up and posted in addition to the video parts of the tutorial.
    No not yet, and yes I expect you to keep "pestering" me until I come over to the 'Legion of the Masked'. I'll get there eventually.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Post [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Even simpler... In Gimp 2.6, use File->Create->Screenshot, then choose either whole screen or a specific window. Then save as suggested

In 2.4, I think it was File->Acquire->Screenshot.

-Rob A>
    Yer right 'bout that. AND I figgered it out all by myself....whooda thunk?
    "No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai.

...if you always thought the last four words of 'The Star Spangled Banner' were "GENTLEMEN, Start Your Engines!"...you might be a redneck.

Page 20 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast